Re: Scripting function definitions as SQL?

Lists: pgsql-general
From: "Postgres User" <postgres(dot)developer(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Scripting function definitions as SQL?
Date: 2008-05-11 13:12:40
Lists: pgsql-general

Has anyone written a function that scripts out all the functions in a
database as full SQL statements (Create Function.....)

I found the below SQL will return all the fields needed to build a SQL
statement, but it would take some work to combine the field values
correctly to get the right format. So does anyone know if the code
has already been written by someone else?

SELECT p.proname AS name, p.oid, p.proargtypes AS args, ds.description
, p.prorettype AS rettype,
p.proretset, p.probin, p.proisstrict AS strict, p.prosrc AS body,
l.lanname AS lang,
u.usename, p.prosecdef, p.provolatile, p.proisagg, n.nspname,
proargnames, p.proargmodes, p.proallargtypes
FROM pg_proc p
LEFT OUTER JOIN pg_description ds ON ds.objoid = p.oid
INNER JOIN pg_namespace n ON p.pronamespace = n.oid
INNER JOIN pg_language l ON l.oid = p.prolang
LEFT OUTER JOIN pg_user u ON u.usesysid = p.proowner
WHERE n.nspname = 'main'
ORDER BY p.proname, n.nspname

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 06:12:40AM -0700, Postgres User wrote:
> Has anyone written a function that scripts out all the functions in a
> database as full SQL statements (Create Function.....)
>
> I found the below SQL will return all the fields needed to build a SQL
> statement, but it would take some work to combine the field values
> correctly to get the right format. So does anyone know if the code
> has already been written by someone else?

Does pg_dump not do what you want?

Have a nice day,

Unfortunately I didn't see a way to tell pg_dump to dump only objects
of a specific type, like functions or sequences. It requires
additional coding to parse the output and that's less than ideal...

> Does pg_dump not do what you want?