Re: Dropping Old Databases

Lists: pdxpug
From: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
To: pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Dropping Old Databases
Date: 2009-02-03 01:05:37
Lists: pdxpug

I'm trying to set up TinyERP which uses postgres as a back end (the first
CRM I've found that does so). The docs are non-existent, so I'm working
trial-and-error.

Anyway, I have a few empty databases that were created long ago and I
cannot drop them. When I try to I see this:

[rshepard(at)salmo ~]$ dropdb contacts
dropdb: database removal failed: ERROR: database "contacts" is being
accessed by other users
[rshepard(at)salmo ~]$ dropdb eiabusiness
dropdb: database removal failed: ERROR: database "eiabusiness" is being
accessed by other users

Since I'm the only human user on this system, I've no idea what "other
users" are currently accessing those dbs.

What do I need to do to drop them?

Thanks,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D. | Integrity Credibility
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. | Innovation

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 5:05 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com> wrote:
> I'm trying to set up TinyERP which uses postgres as a back end (the first
> CRM I've found that does so). The docs are non-existent, so I'm working
> trial-and-error.
>
> Anyway, I have a few empty databases that were created long ago and I
> cannot drop them. When I try to I see this:
>
> [rshepard(at)salmo ~]$ dropdb contacts
> dropdb: database removal failed: ERROR: database "contacts" is being
> accessed by other users
> [rshepard(at)salmo ~]$ dropdb eiabusiness
> dropdb: database removal failed: ERROR: database "eiabusiness" is being
> accessed by other users
>
> Since I'm the only human user on this system, I've no idea what "other
> users" are currently accessing those dbs.
>
> What do I need to do to drop them?

Look at your process table (using 'ps' or the equivalent on your
operating system) or pg_stat_activity and see if you have open
connections to those databases. And, then you probably should kill
off those processes (just use normal kill, not kill -9). Then you can
drop the tables.

-selena

--
Selena Deckelmann