Free VPS Hosting w/ PostreSQL - Limited # Available

Lists: pgsql-announcepgsql-www
From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Free VPS Hosting w/ PostreSQL - Limited # Available
Date: 2010-01-01 05:25:04
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-www

NOTE: A minor changes have been made to the original offer ...

1. there are an equi-number of free *quarterly* VPSs also available,
so if you don't make it in time for the Annual, you can still sign
up for the quarterly.

====

Hello fellow open-source users and developers,

My name is Marc Fournier, and I'd like to highlight Hub.org's monthly VPS
giveaway. In case you've never heard of hub.org:

- Hub.org is small, customer-oriented host which I founded during the
mid-1990s, in order to host the PG project

- Hub is a proud supporter of open-source software development and offers
a large choice of web hosting applications

In case you're unfamiliar with what a Virtual Private Server might be:

- A VPS is like a *private server* (i.e. you get full root access), but
much cheaper and without the hardware hassles;

- It's much more secure than a shared hosting account: user files are in a
completely air-tight environment;

I like to think of hub.org as special in the way we view our business.

Specifically, most of our users are not interested in the technicalities
of their hosting accounts at all. On the contrary, they just need their
site to be up and running.

If you've similar expectations, be sure to visit http://hub.org to see
what we can offer you.

In case you're wondering if a VPS is right for you, consider our limited
offer:

We're distributing 10 free Starter VPS accounts, on the first of each
month, on a first come first served basis. It runs just like any other
Starter account, you just don't have to pay for the *First Year* of
service on it -- you're still responsible for any form of over-usage
however.

To get yours, browse http://hub.org at 0:00 AST (that's 23:00 EST) on the
1st of the month, sign up for an *Annual Starter Package* and enter
"FreeHosting" in the Coupon Field.

If you need any further information, you're more than welcome to get in
touch:

Marc Fournier / CEO
sales at hub.org
http://hub.org

PS: In the event you decide to spread the word, don't miss our affiliate
program: http://affiliates.hub.org/affiliates/signup.php

----
Marc G. Fournier Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy(at)hub(dot)org http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy Skype: hub.org ICQ:7615664 MSN:scrappy(at)hub(dot)org

Why was this approved for posting to -announce? AFAIK, we normally
refer hosters to the list on the website, no?

//Magnus

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/

On Fri, 1 Jan 2010, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> Why was this approved for posting to -announce? AFAIK, we normally
> refer hosters to the list on the website, no?

We hav ea section on the web site to post announcements of specials?

On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 16:13, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jan 2010, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
>> Why was this approved for posting to -announce? AFAIK, we normally
>> refer hosters to the list on the website, no?
>
> We hav ea section on the web site to post announcements of specials?

No, but we have a section for posting hosting sites. Said hosting
sites are expected to use their own channels for specials.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/
Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

On Fri, 1 Jan 2010, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 16:13, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> wrote:
>> On Fri, 1 Jan 2010, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>
>>> Why was this approved for posting to -announce? AFAIK, we normally
>>> refer hosters to the list on the website, no?
>>
>> We hav ea section on the web site to post announcements of specials?
>
> No, but we have a section for posting hosting sites. Said hosting
> sites are expected to use their own channels for specials.

And the policy against this was discussed when, and posted where? In
fact, looking at our web site, there actually is *no* policy about what
can / cannot be posted to -announce (and I know we had / have one floating
around) ... there should be something a bit more prominent / public posted

But, neither here nor there, the policy, as I recall it, concerns two
things:

frequency of posting (once a month *is* acceptable)
and content (has to pertain to PostgreSQL services *or* products)

I'm adhering to *both*

----

On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 16:34, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jan 2010, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>>> We hav ea section on the web site to post announcements of specials?
>>
>> No, but we have a section for posting hosting sites. Said hosting
>> sites are expected to use their own channels for specials.
>
> And the policy against this was discussed when, and posted where?  In fact,
> looking at our web site, there actually is *no* policy about what can /
> cannot be posted to -announce (and I know we had / have one floating around)
> ... there should be something a bit more prominent / public posted ...

I though tit was the same one as for news on the website, which
specifically has:
"
Other types of announcements, including minor releases, pricing
changes, leadership changes, 3rd-party news coverage, partnerships,
and mergers & acquisitions will be rejected.
"

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/
Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

On Fri, 1 Jan 2010, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> I though tit was the same one as for news on the website, which
> specifically has:

> " Other types of announcements, including minor releases, pricing
> changes, leadership changes, 3rd-party news coverage, partnerships, and
> mergers & acquisitions will be rejected. "

'k, mind falls under none of the above ... but, what exactly is '3rd party
news coverage'? And although I can see avoiding minor release
announcments on the web page, I can't see why we'd restrict that on
-announce except if its, like, a 'new release per week' kind of thing ...

----
Marc G. Fournier Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy(at)hub(dot)org http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy Skype: hub.org ICQ:7615664 MSN:scrappy(at)hub(dot)org

> On Fri, 1 Jan 2010, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
>> I though tit was the same one as for news on the website, which
>> specifically has:
>
>> " Other types of announcements, including minor releases, pricing
>> changes, leadership changes, 3rd-party news coverage, partnerships,
>> and mergers & acquisitions will be rejected. "
>
> 'k, mind falls under none of the above ... but, what exactly is '3rd
> party news coverage'? And although I can see avoiding minor release
> announcments on the web page, I can't see why we'd restrict that on
> -announce except if its, like, a 'new release per week' kind of thing ...

fwiw - the full policy document is on:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/NewsEventsApproval

Also the description for the mailinglist says "Announcement list
pertaining to PostgreSQL and various third party software."

I don't think posting hosting offers like that are a good use (or even
appropriate) of the list, if we start distributing only very
tangentially to the core project related stuff like that on our lists
and the website we will soon end up in a situation where everyone wants
to use us as a marketing instrument just by mentioning PostgreSQL
somewhere in the announcement.

Stefan

On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 17:08, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jan 2010, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
>> I though tit was the same one as for news on the website, which
>> specifically has:
>
>> " Other types of announcements, including minor releases, pricing changes,
>> leadership changes, 3rd-party news coverage, partnerships, and mergers &
>> acquisitions will be rejected. "
>
> 'k, mind falls under none of the above ... but, what exactly is '3rd party
> news coverage'?  And although I can see avoiding minor release announcments
> on the web page, I can't see why we'd restrict that on -announce except if
> its, like, a 'new release per week' kind of thing ...

The announce mailinglist gets delivered directly into the mailboxes of
tens of thousands of people. If anything that should be a lot *more*
restrictive than postings to the web.

Personally, I'd like to see -announce for *project news only*, and
have all third party stuff go on the website.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/
Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

On Fri, 1 Jan 2010, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> Personally, I'd like to see -announce for *project news only*, and
> have all third party stuff go on the website.

Sounds reasonable, but this has to be explicitly posted somewhere ... for
starters, the 'your message is awaiting moderator approval' should be
changed so that ppl know that their announcements *aren't* going to go
out, but that they should go to the web site ...

----
Marc G. Fournier Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy(at)hub(dot)org http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy Skype: hub.org ICQ:7615664 MSN:scrappy(at)hub(dot)org

> On Fri, 1 Jan 2010, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
> >Personally, I'd like to see -announce for *project news only*, and
> >have all third party stuff go on the website.
>
> Sounds reasonable, but this has to be explicitly posted somewhere
> ... for starters, the 'your message is awaiting moderator approval'
> should be changed so that ppl know that their announcements *aren't*
> going to go out, but that they should go to the web site ...

Do you know how to make Majordomo act that way?

Will have to re-research this, but we did do it for the 'info' file sent
out for pgsql-hackers ... it may only be a small list of files that can be
modified as such though, am not 100% certain ...

----
Marc G. Fournier Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy(at)hub(dot)org http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy Skype: hub.org ICQ:7615664 MSN:scrappy(at)hub(dot)org

Whilst I agree that the message in this case was not appropriate, I
strongly disagree with 'project news only'. I think at minimum it
should be 'postgresql family news only'.

On 1/1/10, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jan 2010, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
>> Personally, I'd like to see -announce for *project news only*, and
>> have all third party stuff go on the website.
>
> Sounds reasonable, but this has to be explicitly posted somewhere ... for
> starters, the 'your message is awaiting moderator approval' should be
> changed so that ppl know that their announcements *aren't* going to go
> out, but that they should go to the web site ...
>
> ----
> Marc G. Fournier Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
> scrappy(at)hub(dot)org http://www.hub.org
>
> Yahoo:yscrappy Skype: hub.org ICQ:7615664 MSN:scrappy(at)hub(dot)org
>
> --

Dave Page

On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 19:35, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
> Whilst I agree that the message in this case was not appropriate, I
> strongly disagree with 'project news only'. I think at minimum it
> should be 'postgresql family news only'.

Agreed. That's actually what I meant, just didn't state it very clearly :-)