Regarding Distributed Database features

Lists: pgsql-advocacy
From: "Chidambaram Janamaddi" <mail(dot)chidambaram(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Regarding Distributed Database features
Date: 2007-07-13 06:20:44
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hello!
Can you please let me know whether postgreSQL has
Distributed Database supporting features?
Which of the Distributed database functionalities are totally or partially
supported among the following ......................

- Local autonomy
- No reliance on a central site
- Continuous operation
- Location independence
- Fragmentation independence
- Replication independence
- Distributed query independence
- Distributed transaction processing
- Hardware independence
- Operating system independence
- Network independence
- Database independence

Hope you reply me at the earliest possible.

Thanks and regards.

------Chidambaram

> Can you please let me know whether postgreSQL has
> Distributed Database supporting features?

No.

http://www.commandprompt.com/

On July 13, 2007 08:16 am, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Chidambaram Janamaddi wrote:
> > Hello!
> > Can you please let me know whether postgreSQL has
> > Distributed Database supporting features?
>
> No.
>
> > Which of the Distributed database functionalities are totally or
> > partially supported among the following ......................
> >
> > * Local autonomy
> > * No reliance on a central site
> > * Continuous operation
> > * Location independence
> > * Fragmentation independence
> > * Replication independence
> > * Distributed query independence
> > * Distributed transaction processing
> > * Hardware independence
> > * Operating system independence
> > * Network independence
> > * Database independence

It's a database server, so Database independance dos't make much sence here.
However using 3rd party adons such as dbi-link, you can query other, non
PostgreSQL databases from within the PostgreSQL RDBMS.

Now that I take a second read through these questions, I suspect that you
arn't even sure what it is you are asking, but are just trying to do some
sort of purely marketing based feature comparison.

--
Darcy Buskermolen
Command Prompt, Inc.