autovacuum and temp tables support

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: autovacuum and temp tables support
Date: 2010-04-08 18:21:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi there,

our client complained about slow query, which involves temporary tables.
Analyzing them manually solved the problem. I don't remember arguments
against temporary tables support by autovacuum. I'd appreciate any
pointers.

Also, it's worth to add autovacuum_enable_temp_tables variable to control
autovacuum behaviour ?

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

> our client complained about slow query, which involves temporary tables.
> Analyzing them manually solved the problem. I don't remember
> arguments against temporary tables support by autovacuum. I'd
> appreciate any
> pointers.

Autovacuum can't process temp tables; they could reside in a backend's
private temp buffers (local memory, not shared).