Re: Upgrade Problem: 7.4.3 -> 8.1.2

Lists: pgsql-general
From: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Upgrade Problem: 7.4.3 -> 8.1.2
Date: 2006-01-19 20:59:40
Lists: pgsql-general

It's time for me to stop procrastinating and upgrade postgres from -7.4.3
to -8.1.2. Unfortunately, I think that I got it wrong. Here's what I did on
my Slackware-10.2 box:

1) cd to /usr/local/pgsql
2) su'd to postgres
3) ran 'pg_dumpall'
4) as root, ran 'upgradepkg slackware-8.1.2*.tgz'
5) as root, ran '/etc/rc.d/rc.postgresql stop'
6) as root, ran '/etc/rc.d/rc.postgresql start'; yes, there's a postmaster
process running.
7) back to /usr/local/pgsql; as postgres ran 'pg_restore'
8) I see nothing in the virtual terminal. The cursor sits on the following
line.

The only live data I have are the accounting data from SQL-Ledger. It
shouldn't take that long to restore it to the new version's directories.

What did I do wrong, and (most important!) how do I recover my data so I
can both continue to work in SL and get another web-based app running with
the postgres back end?

TIA,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D. | Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM) | Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"