Re: initdb crash

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <eulerto(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: initdb crash
Date: 2004-10-07 01:42:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I saw a initdb crashes when it is creating the template1 database. I
couldn't figure out what is wrong. I attached the backtrace and some
architecture/compiler info.
If someone needs more info, drop me a line.

=====
Euler Taveira de Oliveira
euler[at]yahoo_com_br

Yahoo! Acesso Grátis - Internet rápida e grátis. Instale o discador agora! http://br.acesso.yahoo.com/

Attachment Content-Type Size
bt_initdb.txt text/plain 3.9 KB

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Euler Taveira de Oliveira wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I saw a initdb crashes when it is creating the template1 database. I
> couldn't figure out what is wrong. I attached the backtrace and some
> architecture/compiler info.
> If someone needs more info, drop me a line.

Can you run initdb with the -d flag?

Also, the directory paths you included suggest that there might be some
old code sitting around. Did you do a make distclean?

Gavin

> > I saw a initdb crashes when it is creating the template1 database.
> > couldn't figure out what is wrong. I attached the backtrace and
> some
> > architecture/compiler info.
> > If someone needs more info, drop me a line.
>
> Can you run initdb with the -d flag?

The log is attached.

> Also, the directory paths you included suggest that there might be
> some
> old code sitting around. Did you do a make distclean?

Yes. It's not an old code. That's because i don't like to mix fresh cvs
data with debug data.

=====
Euler Taveira de Oliveira
euler[at]yahoo_com_br

http://mail.yahoo.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
initdb_debug.gz application/gzip 5.9 KB

From: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <eulerto(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2004-10-07 05:27:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, Euler Taveira de Oliveira wrote:

> Hi Gavin,
>

> > > I saw a initdb crashes when it is creating the template1 database.
> > > couldn't figure out what is wrong. I attached the backtrace and
> > some
> > > architecture/compiler info.
> > > If someone needs more info, drop me a line.
> >
> > Can you run initdb with the -d flag?
> >
> The log is attached.

Sorry, I meant to ask before: can we get a backtrace from the backend? Ie,
not initdb but from the generated core.

Gavin

From: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <eulerto(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br>
To: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2004-10-08 13:25:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Gavin,

> database.
> > > some
> > >
> > > Can you run initdb with the -d flag?
> > >
> > The log is attached.
>
> Sorry, I meant to ask before: can we get a backtrace from the
> backend? Ie,
> not initdb but from the generated core.

Sorry for the delay (I have some trouble with my modem). Attached is
the initdb and backend bootstrap backtrace. Seems to be something in
the smgr, I couldn't figure out.

=====
Euler Taveira de Oliveira
euler[at]yahoo_com_br

Yahoo! Acesso Grátis - Internet rápida e grátis. Instale o discador agora! http://br.acesso.yahoo.com/

Attachment Content-Type Size
crash.tgz application/octet-stream 6.7 KB

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <eulerto(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2004-10-08 19:53:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Euler Taveira de Oliveira <eulerto(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br> writes:
> Sorry for the delay (I have some trouble with my modem). Attached is
> the initdb and backend bootstrap backtrace. Seems to be something in
> the smgr, I couldn't figure out.

Whatever this is, it's local to your build, because no one else is
seeing the same; we would all be unable to initdb if that path of
control were getting followed in general.

It's hard to tell which of the values in the backtrace to believe and
which not, but the impression I get is that there's some confusion over
whether pg_proc is a shared relation ... which of course it is not, but
passing database = 0 to TablespaceCreateDbspace would only happen if
someone thought it was.

Is it possible your copy of bootparse.c escaped getting updated after
bootparse.y last changed? The values shown for its arguments seem
closer to what would have been passed in the old code than what should
be there today.

regards, tom lane