Considerations for lib64

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Considerations for lib64
Date: 2003-11-24 18:25:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Some systems that can run 32-bit and 64-bit executables have lib64
directories alongside lib directories. (You could also imagine any other
alternative compilation mode in place of "64".) This requires some
adjustments in the PostgreSQL build system.

Currently, when you specify --with-openssl, then configure automatically
adds -L/usr/local/ssl/lib to LDFLAGS if that directory exists. This would
pick up the wrong directory if you are in 64-bit mode. Analogous behavior
exists for --with-krb5 with /usr/athena.

I think these default installation directories of OpenSSL and Kerberos are
mostly obsolete these days, so I'd rather get rid of that behavior
altogether and let people specify the necessary directories with
--with-libraries and --with-includes like for any of the other optional
packages that PostgreSQL supports.

Comments?

(Additional lib64 issues exist with Python; I will post about these
later.)

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 07:25:56PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Currently, when you specify --with-openssl, then configure automatically
> adds -L/usr/local/ssl/lib to LDFLAGS if that directory exists. This would
> pick up the wrong directory if you are in 64-bit mode. Analogous behavior
> exists for --with-krb5 with /usr/athena.

> I think these default installation directories of OpenSSL and Kerberos are
> mostly obsolete these days, so I'd rather get rid of that behavior
> altogether and let people specify the necessary directories with
> --with-libraries and --with-includes like for any of the other optional
> packages that PostgreSQL supports.

Both default directories are wrong according to my installation. In
fact, both libraries are just in /usr/lib. Certainly it will be a mess
trying to compile with a different LDFLAGS if things are added randomly.

"Cómo ponemos nuestros dedos en la arcilla del otro. Eso es la amistad; jugar
al alfarero y ver qué formas se pueden sacar del otro" (C. Halloway en
La Feria de las Tinieblas, R. Bradbury)