Unused system table columns

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Unused system table columns
Date: 2002-07-15 21:53:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2002-07-16 at 03:53, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> The following system table columns are currently unused and don't appear
> to be in the line of resurrection.
>
> pg_language.lancompiler
> pg_operator.oprprec
> pg_operator.oprisleft
> pg_proc.probyte_pct
> pg_proc.properbyte_cpu
> pg_proc.propercall_cpu
> pg_proc.prooutin_ratio
> pg_shadow.usetrace
> pg_type.typprtlen
> pg_type.typreceive
> pg_type.typsend

pg_type.typreceive and pg_type.typsend
are unused, but I think they should be saved for use as converters
from/to unified binary wire protocol (as their name implies ;) once we
get at it.

The alternative would be yet another system table which would allow us
to support unlimited number of to/from converters for different wire
protocols, but it will definitely be easier to start with
typreceive/typsend.

---------------
Hannu

On Tue, 2002-07-16 at 04:55, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Hannu Krosing wrote:
> > On Tue, 2002-07-16 at 03:53, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > > The following system table columns are currently unused and don't appear
> > > to be in the line of resurrection.
> > >
> > > pg_language.lancompiler
> > > pg_operator.oprprec
> > > pg_operator.oprisleft
> > > pg_proc.probyte_pct
> > > pg_proc.properbyte_cpu
> > > pg_proc.propercall_cpu
> > > pg_proc.prooutin_ratio
> > > pg_shadow.usetrace
> > > pg_type.typprtlen
> > > pg_type.typreceive
> > > pg_type.typsend
> >
> > pg_type.typreceive and pg_type.typsend
> > are unused, but I think they should be saved for use as converters
> > from/to unified binary wire protocol (as their name implies ;) once we
> > get at it.
> >
> > The alternative would be yet another system table which would allow us
> > to support unlimited number of to/from converters for different wire
> > protocols, but it will definitely be easier to start with
> > typreceive/typsend.
>
> We can always re-add the columns them.

But would it not be nice if we could add uniform binary protocol without
requiring initdb ?

If the main concern is disk space, just set them to NULL .

Hannu