Re: Usability, MySQL, Postgresql.org, gborg, contrib, etc.

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com
Subject: Re: Usability, MySQL, Postgresql.org, gborg, contrib, etc.
Date: 2004-04-26 17:19:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> When all is said and done, I think the PostgreSQL project lacks a "Product
> Management" group which steers the public perception and defines
> usability. This is something *all* other systems have, including MySQL.

Well, NO, not a chance.

As one of the de-facto heads of our Advocacy group, let me say "you've got to
be kidding."

MySQL is a private closed-shop software manufacturer who uses the GPL as one
of their methods of distribution. They are not a "real" open source project
-- they are a private, commercial, for-profit software company.

We are not. We are a open, 100% voluntary community of contributing
developers and support volunteers. Nobody is going to take orders from a
"Product Manager", that's a position for paid software products departments.
It would be horribly inappropriate for PostgreSQL, and would destroy
everything that has made us successful to date. You can't give orders to
volunteers.

You're statement that "all other systems" have a Product Manager is also
wildly inaccurate. I think you're thinking of MySQL and Mozilla only.
Heck, even OpenOffice.org doesn't have a Product Manager, and that is a
Sun-sponsored project. Let alone, say, emacs. Or Linux.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

>> When all is said and done, I think the PostgreSQL project lacks a
>> "Product
>> Management" group which steers the public perception and defines
>> usability. This is something *all* other systems have, including MySQL.
>
> Well, NO, not a chance.
>
> As one of the de-facto heads of our Advocacy group, let me say "you've got
> be kidding."

I don't think so, let me explain below.

> MySQL is a private closed-shop software manufacturer who uses the GPL as
> one
> of their methods of distribution. They are not a "real" open source
> project
> -- they are a private, commercial, for-profit software company.

I agree, I don't like MySQL all that much.

> We are not. We are a open, 100% voluntary community of contributing
> developers and support volunteers. Nobody is going to take orders from a
> "Product Manager", that's a position for paid software products
> departments.
> It would be horribly inappropriate for PostgreSQL, and would destroy
> everything that has made us successful to date. You can't give orders to
> volunteers.

It depends on the volunteers. Some are useless at taking orders, this is
true, others, however, are very welcoming to direction. It depends in the
individual. Lastly, Bruce, Tom, Peter, and others are very didicated to
PostgreSQL. If a real case can be made for a feature, I'm sure they are
reasonable enough to see that and grudgingly implement it. Someone,
however, has to keep an eye on that ball.

> You're statement that "all other systems" have a Product Manager is also
> wildly inaccurate. I think you're thinking of MySQL and Mozilla only.
> Heck, even OpenOffice.org doesn't have a Product Manager, and that is a
> Sun-sponsored project. Let alone, say, emacs. Or Linux.

Linux has Linus, he has a very good eye in the market forces. Emacs, is a
non-entity outside UNIX hard core UNIX guys. OpenOffice is very much
managed by Sun.