Re: BUG #3801: max_fsm_pages postgresql.conf default != guc.c default

Lists: pgsql-bugs
From: "Reece Hart" <reece(at)harts(dot)net>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #3801: max_fsm_pages postgresql.conf default != guc.c default
Date: 2007-12-06 03:58:10
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 3801
Logged by: Reece Hart
Email address: reece(at)harts(dot)net
PostgreSQL version: 8.2.5
Operating system: Linux (SLES 10)
Details:

The guc.c hardwired default for max_fsm_pages is 20000. In postgresql.conf
(and .sample), the default is claimed to be 1638400. I don't know which is
correct.

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Reece Hart <reece(at)harts(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2007-12-06 04:20:00
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007, Reece Hart wrote:

> Bug reference: 3801
> PostgreSQL version: 8.2.5
> Details:
>
> The guc.c hardwired default for max_fsm_pages is 20000. In postgresql.conf
> (and .sample), the default is claimed to be 1638400. I don't know which is
> correct.

You need to consider the units. guc.c is in "number of pages", while
postgresql.conf is in kB. Since the page size is 8192, these are
equivalent.

Kris Jurka