Re: bug with prepared statements and sql comments in 8.1-408.jdbc3

Lists: pgsql-jdbc
From: mljv(at)planwerk6(dot)de
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: bug with prepared statements and sql comments in 8.1-408.jdbc3
Date: 2007-06-05 11:02:57
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi,

i am using hibernate3, postgresql 8.1 and pg-jdbc 8.1-408.jdbc3

when is set hibernate.use_sql_comments to true, hibernate sends sql comments
to the postgresql driver to ease debugging.

But the driver does not recognise the comment in respect of parameters:

Caused by: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: Für den Parameter 2 wurde kein
Wert angegeben.
["No value for parameter 2 was specified"]

Hibernate send the following string to the driver:

/*
from
customers As cu
where
cu.name = ? */ select
[...]
from
Customer customer0_
where
customer0_.customer0_name=?

the driver doesnt see that the first "?" is inside a comment. That's my guess
from reading a very similar bug report:
http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/hibernate/browse/HHH-521
this one was tracked down in the oracle driver, so i guess postgresql has got
the same kind of bug.

if i can help to track down this bug, please contact me via PM.

--
kind regards,
janning

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007, mljv(at)planwerk6(dot)de wrote:

> i am using hibernate3, postgresql 8.1 and pg-jdbc 8.1-408.jdbc3
>
> when is set hibernate.use_sql_comments to true, hibernate sends sql comments
> to the postgresql driver to ease debugging.
>
> But the driver does not recognise the comment in respect of parameters:

This is a known problem with the 8.1 driver series and is fixed in the 8.2
release. It's perfectly fine to use an 8.2 driver with an earlier
database version.

Kris Jurka

On Tuesday 05 June 2007 20:07:40 Kris Jurka wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Jun 2007, mljv(at)planwerk6(dot)de wrote:
> > i am using hibernate3, postgresql 8.1 and pg-jdbc 8.1-408.jdbc3
> >
> > when is set hibernate.use_sql_comments to true, hibernate sends sql
> > comments to the postgresql driver to ease debugging.
> >
> > But the driver does not recognise the comment in respect of parameters:
>
> This is a known problem with the 8.1 driver series and is fixed in the 8.2
> release. It's perfectly fine to use an 8.2 driver with an earlier
> database version.

thanks for your quick reply! i should have read
http://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html thoroughly and tried 8.2 driver
before steeling your time. sorry!

kind regards,
janning