Re: Runtime Problems

Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
From: "Richard Luckhurst" <rickl(at)soundadvice(dot)aunz(dot)net>
To: "PGSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Runtime Problems
Date: 2004-05-13 01:04:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Hello All

I am quite new to pgsql and the Win32 port. I have just tried Vishal's new
guide to building
and I am having what looks like a path problem when I try to initialise a
database. I am using
Windows 2000. Everything builds and installs OK and I have copied the files
in the msys\1.0\local\pgsql
to my c:\pgsql folder as per the instructions. I have added C:\pgsql\bin and
c:\pgsql\lib to my path
as instructed. When I try to run initdb I get the following error

initdb -D c:\pgsql\data -W --lc-collate=C
Bad command or file name
fgets failure: No error
Bad command or file name
fgets failure: No error
The program "postgres" is needed by initdb but was not found in
the directory "C:/msys/1.0/local/pgsql/bin". Check your installation

I would appreciate any clues here as this has me stumped. I don't understand
why is should even be looking in the msys directory.

Regards

Richard
_______________________________________
Richard Luckhurst
Manager / Engineer
Sound Advice / BSP Internet Services
P.O. Box 104
Narrabri NSW 2390
Ph / Fax 02 6792 6060
http://www.bsp.aunz.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
winmail.dat application/ms-tnef 2.2 KB

> I am quite new to pgsql and the Win32 port. I have just tried Vishal's
> new guide to building
> and I am having what looks like a path problem when I try to initialise
> a database. I am using
> Windows 2000. Everything builds and installs OK and I have copied the
> files in the msys\1.0\local\pgsql
> to my c:\pgsql folder as per the instructions. I have added
> C:\pgsql\bin and c:\pgsql\lib to my path
> as instructed. When I try to run initdb I get the following error
>
> initdb -D c:\pgsql\data -W --lc-collate=C
> Bad command or file name
> fgets failure: No error
> Bad command or file name
> fgets failure: No error
> The program "postgres" is needed by initdb but was not found in
> the directory "C:/msys/1.0/local/pgsql/bin". Check your installation
>
> I would appreciate any clues here as this has me stumped. I don't
> understand why is should even be looking in the msys directory.

I haven't had time to read the document referred to, but if it currently
recommends that you run from anywhere but the installed path then I
disagree with it. When we get relocatable installs, which Bruce is working
on, you will be able to move the whole installation around to your heart's
content.

Have you checked that there is still in fact a
C:/msys/1.0/local/pgsql/bin/postgres.exe? Could it be a permissions
problem?

cheers

andrew