Re: pgsql/src backend/libpq/be-secure.c include/li ...

Lists: pgsql-committers
From: momjian(at)postgresql(dot)org (Bruce Momjian - CVS)
To: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgsql/src backend/libpq/be-secure.c include/li ...
Date: 2002-06-14 04:36:58
Lists: pgsql-committers

CVSROOT: /cvsroot
Module name: pgsql
Changes by: momjian(at)postgresql(dot)org 02/06/14 00:36:58

Modified files:
src/backend/libpq: be-secure.c
src/include/libpq: libpq-be.h
src/interfaces/libpq: fe-secure.c

Log message:
SSL patch that adds support for optional client certificates.

If the user has certificates in $HOME/.postgresql/postgresql.crt
and $HOME/.postgresql/postgresql.key exist, they are provided
to the server. The certificate used to sign this cert must be
known to the server, in $DataDir/root.crt. If successful, the
cert's "common name" is logged.

Client certs are not used for authentication, but they could be
via the port->peer (X509 *), port->peer_dn (char *) or
port->peer_cn (char *) fields. Or any other function could be
used, e.g., many sites like the issuer + serial number hash.

Bear Giles

> If the user has certificates in $HOME/.postgresql/postgresql.crt
> and $HOME/.postgresql/postgresql.key exist, they are provided
> to the server. The certificate used to sign this cert must be
> known to the server, in $DataDir/root.crt. If successful, the
> cert's "common name" is logged.

How about we put a script or Makefile in $datadir that eases the generation
of a server cert and signing users...?

Chris

Doh - looks like there's one in the ssl interfaces section...

Chris

Yes, I put the tools stuff in interfaces/ssl. Not sure what to do with
it, though. No makfile supplied or anything.

Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us