Re: How do you change the size of the WAL files?

Lists: pgsql-general
From: runner <runner(at)winning(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How do you change the size of the WAL files?
Date: 2011-03-11 17:44:24
Lists: pgsql-general

Our WAL files are 16 Mb in size each. I cannot find where you configure them to make them larger. 16 Mb is too small for our instalation. If necessary, I can rebuild the entire cluster. Our DBA initialized a new cluster and specified a larger WAL size but it stayed at 16 Mb. Any info on this?

Thanks!

> Our WAL files are 16 Mb in size each. I cannot find where you
> configure them to make them larger. 16 Mb is too small for our
> instalation. If necessary, I can rebuild the entire cluster. Our
> DBA initialized a new cluster and specified a larger WAL size but it
> stayed at 16 Mb. Any info on this?

Why is 16MB too small? Most people increase checkpoint_segments for
larger installs and it works fine.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

>> Our WAL files are 16 Mb in size each. I cannot find where you

>> configure them to make them larger. 16 Mb is too small for our

>> instalation. If necessary, I can rebuild the entire cluster. Our

>> DBA initialized a new cluster and specified a larger WAL size but it

>> stayed at 16 Mb. Any info on this?

> Why is 16MB too small? Most people increase checkpoint_segments for

> larger installs and it works fine.

We are doing continuous archiving and we have thousands of these 16 Mb archive files on disk.
My boss is used to using Oracle where you can set the size of the files.
He'd rather have fewer but larger archive files.

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 11:58 AM, runner <runner(at)winning(dot)com> wrote:
> We are doing continuous archiving and we have thousands of these 16 Mb
> archive files on disk.
>
> My boss is used to using Oracle where you can set the size of the files.
>
> He'd rather have fewer but larger archive files.

What advantage is there to a fewer number of files?

Have you tried appending the files to an archive?

merlin

> >> Our WAL files are 16 Mb in size each. I cannot find where you
>

> >> configure them to make them larger. 16 Mb is too small for our
>
> >> instalation. If necessary, I can rebuild the entire cluster. Our
>
> >> DBA initialized a new cluster and specified a larger WAL size but it
>
> >> stayed at 16 Mb. Any info on this?
>

> > Why is 16MB too small? Most people increase checkpoint_segments for
>
> > larger installs and it works fine.
>

> We are doing continuous archiving and we have thousands of these 16 Mb archive files on disk.
> My boss is used to using Oracle where you can set the size of the files.
> He'd rather have fewer but larger archive files.

There is no option to do that, but there is pg_lesslog which shrinks
them, though I realize you want fewer, larger ones. This is a rare
request.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com