BUG #6634: pg_dump dumps cast after objects depending on it

Lists: pgsql-bugs
From: avandras(at)gmail(dot)com
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #6634: pg_dump dumps cast after objects depending on it
Date: 2012-05-08 13:31:08
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 6634
Logged by: András Váczi
Email address: avandras(at)gmail(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 9.1.3
Operating system: Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS

A cast, which transforms a composite type to timestamp without time zone, is
included in the regular backups of a database.
There are several views utilizing this cast, but these are always listed
before the cast, therefore pg_restore or psql will issue an error instead of
creating the view.
This causes that the DB cannot be successfully restored, only with the help
of an additional patch file, which must be maintained by hand.

> A cast, which transforms a composite type to timestamp without time zone, is
> included in the regular backups of a database.
> There are several views utilizing this cast, but these are always listed
> before the cast, therefore pg_restore or psql will issue an error instead of
> creating the view.

Please provide a concrete example.

regards, tom lane