pgsql: Raise maximum value of several timeout parameters

Lists: pgsql-committers
From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgsql: Raise maximum value of several timeout parameters
Date: 2011-03-17 18:25:16
Lists: pgsql-committers

Raise maximum value of several timeout parameters

The maximum value of deadlock_timeout, max_standby_archive_delay,
max_standby_streaming_delay, log_min_duration_statement, and
log_autovacuum_min_duration was INT_MAX/1000 milliseconds, which is
about 35min, which is too short for some practical uses. Raise the
maximum value to INT_MAX; the code that uses the parameters already
supports that just fine.

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/8c0a5eb78af00ec4720e693feaba70b5a73205d1

Modified Files
--------------
src/backend/utils/misc/guc.c | 10 +++++-----

> Raise maximum value of several timeout parameters
>
> The maximum value of deadlock_timeout, max_standby_archive_delay,
> max_standby_streaming_delay, log_min_duration_statement, and
> log_autovacuum_min_duration was INT_MAX/1000 milliseconds, which is
> about 35min, which is too short for some practical uses. Raise the
> maximum value to INT_MAX; the code that uses the parameters already
> supports that just fine.

Did we not intend to backpatch this? The max_standby_*_delay settings
are particularly worrisome to me, and ISTM there's a good case for
calling these just bugs. Surely nobody is relying on the maximum value
being 35 minutes.

cheers

andrew