Documenting timezone setting in initdb

Lists: pgsql-docs
From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Documenting timezone setting in initdb
Date: 2014-11-16 00:19:04
Lists: pgsql-docs

Setting the time zone of the newly created cluster from initdb via the
environment variable isn't documented in the initdb section (but very handy).
Attached is a patch adding a mention of TZ in the Environment section.

Unless objections I'll add it to the open commitfest.

cheers ./daniel

Attachment Content-Type Size
initdb-doc-timezone.patch application/octet-stream 554 bytes
unknown_filename text/plain 2 bytes

On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 1:19 AM, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> wrote:
> Setting the time zone of the newly created cluster from initdb via the
> environment variable isn't documented in the initdb section (but very handy).
> Attached is a patch adding a mention of TZ in the Environment section.
>
> Unless objections I'll add it to the open commitfest.

Looks good to me, applied. 9.4 is still open for docs patches so I
back-patched it there, as this is clearly an omission/bug.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/

On 11/15/14 7:19 PM, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> Setting the time zone of the newly created cluster from initdb via the
> environment variable isn't documented in the initdb section (but very handy).
> Attached is a patch adding a mention of TZ in the Environment section.

What is a "full time zone name"? Where is that term documented?

Also, I wouldn't write "should use", but "will use".

On 12 Dec 2014, at 05:16, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:

> On 11/15/14 7:19 PM, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> Setting the time zone of the newly created cluster from initdb via the
>> environment variable isn't documented in the initdb section (but very handy).
>> Attached is a patch adding a mention of TZ in the Environment section.
>
> What is a "full time zone name"? Where is that term documented?

Full time zone name is the term used in section 8.5.3 for the America/New_York
style time zone names, perhaps linking to that section like how we link to the
locale section etc would be appropriate?

> Also, I wouldn't write "should use", but "will use".

Fair enough, that does make it clearer.

I can submit a patch with these changes if you want?

cheers ./daniel

On 12/12/14 6:37 AM, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> On 12 Dec 2014, at 05:16, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
>
>> On 11/15/14 7:19 PM, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>>> Setting the time zone of the newly created cluster from initdb via the
>>> environment variable isn't documented in the initdb section (but very handy).
>>> Attached is a patch adding a mention of TZ in the Environment section.
>>
>> What is a "full time zone name"? Where is that term documented?
>
> Full time zone name is the term used in section 8.5.3 for the America/New_York
> style time zone names, perhaps linking to that section like how we link to the
> locale section etc would be appropriate?

Fixed it. Thanks for the pointer.