Re: WIP: store additional info in GIN index

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: WIP: store additional info in GIN index
Date: 2012-11-18 21:54:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hackers,

Attached patch enables GIN to store additional information with item
pointers in posting lists and trees.
Such additional information could be positions of words, positions of
trigrams, lengths of arrays and so on.
This is the first and most huge patch of serie of GIN improvements which
was presented at PGConf.EU
http://wiki.postgresql.org/images/2/25/Full-text_search_in_PostgreSQL_in_milliseconds-extended-version.pdf

Patch modifies GIN interface as following:
1) Two arguments are added to extractValue
Datum **addInfo, bool **addInfoIsNull
2) Two arguments are added to consistent
Datum addInfo[], bool addInfoIsNull[]
3) New method config is introduced which returns datatype oid of addtional
information (analogy with SP-GiST config method).

Patch completely changes storage in posting lists and leaf pages of posting
trees. It uses varbyte encoding for BlockNumber and OffsetNumber.
BlockNumber are stored incremental in page. Additionally one bit of
OffsetNumber is reserved for additional information NULL flag. To be able
to find position in leaf data page quickly patch introduces small index in
the end of page.

------
With best regards,
Alexander Korotkov.

Attachment Content-Type Size
ginaddinfo.1.patch.gz application/x-gzip 31.3 KB

On 18.11.2012 22:54, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
> Hackers,
>
> Patch completely changes storage in posting lists and leaf pages of
> posting trees. It uses varbyte encoding for BlockNumber and
> OffsetNumber. BlockNumber are stored incremental in page. Additionally
> one bit of OffsetNumber is reserved for additional information NULL
> flag. To be able to find position in leaf data page quickly patch
> introduces small index in the end of page.

Hi,

I've tried to apply the patch with the current HEAD, but I'm getting
segfaults whenever VACUUM runs (either called directly or from autovac
workers).

The patch applied cleanly against 9b3ac49e and needed a minor fix when
applied on HEAD (because of an assert added to ginRedoCreatePTree), but
that shouldn't be a problem.

The backtrace always looks like this:

0x00000000004dea3b in processPendingPage (accum=0x7fff15ab8aa0,
ka=0x7fff15ab8a70, page=0x7f88774a7ea0 "", startoff=1) at ginfast.c:785
785 addInfo = index_getattr(itup, 2,
accum->ginstate->tupdesc[curattnum - 1], &addInfoIsNull);
(gdb) bt
#0 0x00000000004dea3b in processPendingPage (accum=0x7fff15ab8aa0,
ka=0x7fff15ab8a70, page=0x7f88774a7ea0 "", startoff=1) at ginfast.c:785
#1 0x00000000004df3c6 in ginInsertCleanup (ginstate=0x7fff15ab97c0,
vac_delay=1 '\001', stats=0xfb0050) at ginfast.c:909
#2 0x00000000004dbe8c in ginbulkdelete (fcinfo=0x7fff15abbfb0) at
ginvacuum.c:747

Reproducing the issue is quite simple:

1) create table messages (id int, txt text, ts tsvector);
2) insert into messages select i, substr(md5(i::text), 0, 4),
to_tsvector('english', substr(md5(i::text), 0, 4))
from generate_series(1,100000) s(i);
3) vacuum messages
4) ... segfault :-(

regards
Tomas

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Alexander Korotkov
<aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Patch completely changes storage in posting lists and leaf pages of posting
> trees. It uses varbyte encoding for BlockNumber and OffsetNumber.
> BlockNumber are stored incremental in page. Additionally one bit of
> OffsetNumber is reserved for additional information NULL flag. To be able to
> find position in leaf data page quickly patch introduces small index in the
> end of page.

This sounds like it means that this would break pg_upgrade, about
which I'm not too keen. Ideally, we'd like to have a situation where
new indexes have additional capabilities, but old indexes are still
usable for things that they could do before. I am not sure whether
that's a realistic goal.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

> On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Alexander Korotkov
> <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Patch completely changes storage in posting lists and leaf pages of posting
>> trees. It uses varbyte encoding for BlockNumber and OffsetNumber.
>> BlockNumber are stored incremental in page. Additionally one bit of
>> OffsetNumber is reserved for additional information NULL flag. To be able to
>> find position in leaf data page quickly patch introduces small index in the
>> end of page.
>
> This sounds like it means that this would break pg_upgrade, about
> which I'm not too keen. Ideally, we'd like to have a situation where
> new indexes have additional capabilities, but old indexes are still
> usable for things that they could do before. I am not sure whether
> that's a realistic goal.

Is there a reason not to create this as a new type of index? "GIN2" or
whatever?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

On 2012-12-04 10:04:03 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 12/4/12 9:34 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Alexander Korotkov
> > <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >> Patch completely changes storage in posting lists and leaf pages of posting
> >> trees. It uses varbyte encoding for BlockNumber and OffsetNumber.
> >> BlockNumber are stored incremental in page. Additionally one bit of
> >> OffsetNumber is reserved for additional information NULL flag. To be able to
> >> find position in leaf data page quickly patch introduces small index in the
> >> end of page.
> >
> > This sounds like it means that this would break pg_upgrade, about
> > which I'm not too keen. Ideally, we'd like to have a situation where
> > new indexes have additional capabilities, but old indexes are still
> > usable for things that they could do before. I am not sure whether
> > that's a realistic goal.
>
> Is there a reason not to create this as a new type of index? "GIN2" or
> whatever?

Aren't the obvious maintenance problems enough?

Greetings,

Andres Freund

On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 5:02 AM, Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz> wrote:

> I've tried to apply the patch with the current HEAD, but I'm getting
> segfaults whenever VACUUM runs (either called directly or from autovac
> workers).
>
> The patch applied cleanly against 9b3ac49e and needed a minor fix when
> applied on HEAD (because of an assert added to ginRedoCreatePTree), but
> that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for testing! Patch is rebased with HEAD. The bug you reported was
fixed.

------
With best regards,
Alexander Korotkov.

Attachment Content-Type Size
ginaddinfo.2.patch.gz application/x-gzip 31.4 KB

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 9:34 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Alexander Korotkov
> <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > Patch completely changes storage in posting lists and leaf pages of
> posting
> > trees. It uses varbyte encoding for BlockNumber and OffsetNumber.
> > BlockNumber are stored incremental in page. Additionally one bit of
> > OffsetNumber is reserved for additional information NULL flag. To be
> able to
> > find position in leaf data page quickly patch introduces small index in
> the
> > end of page.
>
> This sounds like it means that this would break pg_upgrade, about
> which I'm not too keen. Ideally, we'd like to have a situation where
> new indexes have additional capabilities, but old indexes are still
> usable for things that they could do before. I am not sure whether
> that's a realistic goal.

This means to have two versions of code which deals with posting trees and
lists. For me it seems unlikely we have resources for maintenance of this.

------
With best regards,
Alexander Korotkov.

> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 9:34 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Alexander Korotkov
> > <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > > Patch completely changes storage in posting lists and leaf pages of
> > posting
> > > trees. It uses varbyte encoding for BlockNumber and OffsetNumber.
> > > BlockNumber are stored incremental in page. Additionally one bit of
> > > OffsetNumber is reserved for additional information NULL flag. To be
> > able to
> > > find position in leaf data page quickly patch introduces small index in
> > the
> > > end of page.
> >
> > This sounds like it means that this would break pg_upgrade, about
> > which I'm not too keen. Ideally, we'd like to have a situation where
> > new indexes have additional capabilities, but old indexes are still
> > usable for things that they could do before. I am not sure whether
> > that's a realistic goal.
>
> This means to have two versions of code which deals with posting trees and
> lists. For me it seems unlikely we have resources for maintenance of this.

Witness how GIN has gone with unfixed bugs for months, even though
patches to fix them have been posted. We don't have the manpower to
maintain even *one* such implementation, let alone two.

Maybe we can mark GIN indexes as invalid after pg_upgrade somehow, so
that they require reindex in the new cluster before they can be used for
queries or index updates.

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 05:35:24PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > This means to have two versions of code which deals with posting trees and
> > lists. For me it seems unlikely we have resources for maintenance of this.
>
> Witness how GIN has gone with unfixed bugs for months, even though
> patches to fix them have been posted. We don't have the manpower to
> maintain even *one* such implementation, let alone two.
>
> Maybe we can mark GIN indexes as invalid after pg_upgrade somehow, so
> that they require reindex in the new cluster before they can be used for
> queries or index updates.

Yes, pg_upgrade has infrastructure to do that.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

On 4.12.2012 20:12, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 5:02 AM, Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz
> <mailto:tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>> wrote:
>
> I've tried to apply the patch with the current HEAD, but I'm getting
> segfaults whenever VACUUM runs (either called directly or from autovac
> workers).
>
> The patch applied cleanly against 9b3ac49e and needed a minor fix when
> applied on HEAD (because of an assert added to ginRedoCreatePTree), but
> that shouldn't be a problem.
>

> Thanks for testing! Patch is rebased with HEAD. The bug you reported was
> fixed.

Applies fine, but I get a segfault in dataPlaceToPage at gindatapage.c.
The whole backtrace is here: http://pastebin.com/YEPuWeuV

The messages written into PostgreSQL log are quite variable - usually it
looks like this:

2012-12-04 22:31:08 CET 31839 LOG: database system was not properly
shut down; automatic recovery in progress
2012-12-04 22:31:08 CET 31839 LOG: redo starts at 0/68A76E48
2012-12-04 22:31:08 CET 31839 LOG: unexpected pageaddr 0/1BE64000 in
log segment 000000010000000000000069, offset 15089664
2012-12-04 22:31:08 CET 31839 LOG: redo done at 0/69E63638

but I've seen this message too

2012-12-04 22:20:29 CET 31709 LOG: database system was not properly
shut down; automatic recovery in progress
2012-12-04 22:20:29 CET 31709 LOG: redo starts at 0/AEAFAF8
2012-12-04 22:20:29 CET 31709 LOG: record with zero length at 0/C7D5698
2012-12-04 22:20:29 CET 31709 LOG: redo done at 0/C7D55E

I wasn't able to prepare a simple testcase to reproduce this, so I've
attached two files from my "fun project" where I noticed it. It's a
simple DB + a bit of Python for indexing mbox archives inside Pg.

- create.sql - a database structure with a bunch of GIN indexes on
tsvector columns on "messages" table

- load.py - script for parsing mbox archives / loading them into the
"messages" table (warning: it's a bit messy)

Usage:

1) create the DB structure
$ createdb archives
$ psql archives < create.sql

2) fetch some archives (I consistently get SIGSEGV after first three)
$ wget
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/mbox/pgsql-hackers.1997-01.gz
$ wget
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/mbox/pgsql-hackers.1997-02.gz
$ wget
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/mbox/pgsql-hackers.1997-03.gz

3) gunzip and load them using the python script
$ gunzip pgsql-hackers.*.gz
$ ./load.py --db archives pgsql-hackers.*

4) et voila - a SIGSEGV :-(

I suspect this might be related to the fact that the load.py script uses
savepoints quite heavily to handle UNIQUE_VIOLATION (duplicate messages).

Tomas

Attachment Content-Type Size
load.py text/x-python 12.3 KB
create.sql text/plain 8.8 KB