9.2 beta1 libxml2 can't be loaded on Windows

Lists: pgsql-bugs
From: Edmund Horner <ejrh00(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: 9.2 beta1 libxml2 can't be loaded on Windows
Date: 2012-05-31 02:14:27
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hello, apologies if this is already in your radar.

I can successfully install the PostgreSQL 9.2 beta1 binaries on
Windows XP and successfully perform most queries. However I've run
into some trouble with the XML support.

From a very cursory search I did not see anything changed since 9.1.3
that could affect this, so maybe it's just a build/packaging issue.

Cheers,
Edmund.

Version and environment:

PostgreSQL 9.2 beta1, binaries-only package
Windows XP SP3 32 bit

Steps:

1. Install binaries.
2. Start server.
3. Open psql session to postgres database.
4. Run query: SELECT xml '<foo>bar</foo>';

Expected result: query returns a single row like:

xml
----------------
<foo>bar</foo>

Actual result:

postgres=# SELECT xml '<foo>bar</foo>';
ERROR: could not set up XML error handler
LINE 1: select xml '<foo>bar</foo>';
^
HINT: This probably indicates that the version of libxml2 being
used is not compatible with the
libxml2 header files that PostgreSQL was built with.

postgres.exe does find and read part of libxml2.dll both at initial
server startup, and when psql connects for the first time.

On 31 May 2012 14:14, Edmund Horner <ejrh00(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hello, apologies if this is already in your radar.
>
> I can successfully install the PostgreSQL 9.2 beta1 binaries on
> Windows XP and successfully perform most queries.  However I've run
> into some trouble with the XML support.
>
> From a very cursory search I did not see anything changed since 9.1.3
> that could affect this, so maybe it's just a build/packaging issue.
>
> Cheers,
> Edmund.
>

> Version and environment:
>
> PostgreSQL 9.2 beta1, binaries-only package
> Windows XP SP3 32 bit
>
> Steps:
>
>  1. Install binaries.
>  2. Start server.
>  3. Open psql session to postgres database.
>  4. Run query:  SELECT xml '<foo>bar</foo>';
>
> Expected result:  query returns a single row like:
>
>           xml
>    ----------------
>     <foo>bar</foo>
>
> Actual result:
>
>    postgres=# SELECT xml '<foo>bar</foo>';
>    ERROR:  could not set up XML error handler
>    LINE 1: select xml '<foo>bar</foo>';
>                       ^
>    HINT:  This probably indicates that the version of libxml2 being
> used is not compatible with the
>     libxml2 header files that PostgreSQL was built with.
>
> postgres.exe does find and read part of libxml2.dll both at initial
> server startup, and when psql connects for the first time.

I tried using an older libxml2.dll. Replace with the one from
ftp://ftp.zlatkovic.com/libxml/oldreleases/libxml2-2.6.9.win32.zip
(and copying zlib1.dll to zlib.dll), and it works.

I note that the previous 9.1.3 binaries used the newer libxml2.dll
though (same as the one in
ftp://ftp.zlatkovic.com/libxml/libxml2-2.7.8.win32.zip).

So I'm guessing the Windows PostgreSQL binaries were built with the
old one, but packaged with the new one.