streaming replication confusion

Lists: pgsql-docs
From: Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: streaming replication confusion
Date: 2012-11-09 02:56:00
Lists: pgsql-docs

I think there is at least[4] one confusing documentation leftover from
the 9.0 days at:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/warm-standby.html

First, we claim:

| Streaming replication is asynchronous, so there is still a small delay
| between committing a transaction in the primary and for the changes
| to become visible in the standby.

This unqualified statement, which has remained the same since 9.0,
suggests synchronous replication is not possible using streaming
replication. Further down we are closer to the truth:

| PostgreSQL streaming replication is asynchronous by default.

Proposed fix for this gripe attached. I'd be pleased to see this
particular doc patch backpatched to 9.2 and 9.1, given that the
replication docs are both important and fairly confusing.

The Streaming Replication wiki page[1] contains similar out-of-date
claims[2]; I can fix some of the egregious errors myself, though help
is welcome. The "Synchronous Replication" wiki page[3] is in even
worse shape, containing mostly info about a patch different than what
was committed... and it's currently the first Google search result for
"postgresql synchronous replication" :-(

Josh

[1] http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Streaming_Replication
[2] such as "Currently SR supports only asynchronous log-shipping", or
already-released functionality described under the "Future release
section".
[3] http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Synchronous_replication
[4] I have a larger gripe about the way this entire page is laid out,
with streaming rep. info bolted onto a page which is still named and
was intended to be about warm standby, but I'll try to make a separate
thread about that.

Attachment Content-Type Size
streaming_rep.docfix.diff application/octet-stream 1.4 KB

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 7:56 PM, Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> The Streaming Replication wiki page[1] contains similar out-of-date
> claims[2]; I can fix some of the egregious errors myself, though help
> is welcome. The "Synchronous Replication" wiki page[3] is in even
> worse shape, containing mostly info about a patch different than what
> was committed... and it's currently the first Google search result for
> "postgresql synchronous replication" :-(

I've shuffled around the Synchronous replication page, and made some
changes to Streaming Replication, though the latter could probably use
some further pruning. Could someone take a look at the small
documentation patch?

On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 7:26 PM, Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 7:56 PM, Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> The Streaming Replication wiki page[1] contains similar out-of-date
>> claims[2]; I can fix some of the egregious errors myself, though help
>> is welcome. The "Synchronous Replication" wiki page[3] is in even
>> worse shape, containing mostly info about a patch different than what
>> was committed... and it's currently the first Google search result for
>> "postgresql synchronous replication" :-(
>
> I've shuffled around the Synchronous replication page, and made some
> changes to Streaming Replication, though the latter could probably use
> some further pruning. Could someone take a look at the small
> documentation patch?

Was that message supposed to contain a second patch, or were you just
referring to the one you sent back in November?

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 6:54 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
>> I've shuffled around the Synchronous replication page, and made some
>> changes to Streaming Replication, though the latter could probably use
>> some further pruning. Could someone take a look at the small
>> documentation patch?
>
> Was that message supposed to contain a second patch, or were you just
> referring to the one you sent back in November?

I was referring to the initial patch sent in November.

Josh

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 4:04 PM, Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 6:54 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
>>> I've shuffled around the Synchronous replication page, and made some
>>> changes to Streaming Replication, though the latter could probably use
>>> some further pruning. Could someone take a look at the small
>>> documentation patch?
>>
>> Was that message supposed to contain a second patch, or were you just
>> referring to the one you sent back in November?
>
> I was referring to the initial patch sent in November.

Ok, thanks for confirming. Applied and backpatched.