Re: [PERFORM] Cpu usage 100% on slave. s_lock problem.

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Дмитрий Дегтярёв <degtyaryov(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Cpu usage 100% on slave. s_lock problem.
Date: 2013-09-27 19:00:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 7:56 AM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 10:14 PM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>>> I've seen this in profiles since, so I'd appreciate pushing this
>>> forward.
>>
>> roger that -- will push ahead when I get into the office...
>
> attached is new version fixing some comment typos.

Attached is simplified patch that replaces the spinlock with a read
barrier based on a suggestion made by Andres offlist. The approach
has different performance characteristics -- a barrier call is being
issued instead of a non-blocking read. I don't have a performance
test case in hand to prove that's better so I'm going with Andre's
approach because it's simpler. Aside: can this truly the only caller
of pg_read_barrier()?

Also, moving to -hackers from -performance.

merlin

Attachment Content-Type Size
recovery5.patch application/octet-stream 1.3 KB

On 27.09.2013 22:00, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 7:56 AM, Merlin Moncure<mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>>> roger that -- will push ahead when I get into the office...
>>
>> attached is new version fixing some comment typos.
>
> Attached is simplified patch that replaces the spinlock with a read
> barrier based on a suggestion made by Andres offlist. The approach
> has different performance characteristics -- a barrier call is being
> issued instead of a non-blocking read. I don't have a performance
> test case in hand to prove that's better so I'm going with Andre's
> approach because it's simpler.

Can you think of a concrete example of what might go wrong if we simply
removed the spinlock, and did an unprotected read through the volatile
pointer? Is there some particular call sequence that might get optimized
in an unfortunate way? I'm not suggesting that we do that - better safe
than sorry even if we can't think of any particular scenario - but it
would help me understand this.

I don't think a read-barrier is enough here. See README.barrier:

> When a memory barrier is being used to separate two
> loads, use pg_read_barrier(); when it is separating two stores, use
> pg_write_barrier(); when it is a separating a load and a store (in either
> order), use pg_memory_barrier().

The function RecoveryInProgress() function does just one load, to read
the variable, and wouldn't even need a barrier by itself. The other load
or store that needs to be protected by the barrier happens in the
caller, before or after the function, and we can't say for sure if it's
a load or a store. So, let's use pg_memory_barrier().

> Aside: can this truly the only caller
> of pg_read_barrier()?

Yep. I only added the first caller of the barriers altogether in the
xlog-insertion scaling patch. Robert wrote the infrastructure in 9.3,
but it wasn't used until now, in 9.4.

- Heikki

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 1:28 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
<hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com> wrote:
> Yep. I only added the first caller of the barriers altogether in the
> xlog-insertion scaling patch. Robert wrote the infrastructure in 9.3, but it
> wasn't used until now, in 9.4.

FWIW, it was actually during 9.2 development that Robert first added
the barriers.

--
Peter Geoghegan

On 2013-09-27 23:28:37 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 27.09.2013 22:00, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> >Attached is simplified patch that replaces the spinlock with a read
> >barrier based on a suggestion made by Andres offlist. The approach
> >has different performance characteristics -- a barrier call is being
> >issued instead of a non-blocking read. I don't have a performance
> >test case in hand to prove that's better so I'm going with Andre's
> >approach because it's simpler.
>
> Can you think of a concrete example of what might go wrong if we simply
> removed the spinlock, and did an unprotected read through the volatile
> pointer? Is there some particular call sequence that might get optimized in
> an unfortunate way? I'm not suggesting that we do that - better safe than
> sorry even if we can't think of any particular scenario - but it would help
> me understand this.

I think in some architecutres the write from the other side might just
not immediately be visible, so RecoveryInProgress() might return a
spurious true, although we already finished.
I haven't checked whether there's any callers that would have a problem
with that.

> I don't think a read-barrier is enough here. See README.barrier:
>
> >When a memory barrier is being used to separate two
> >loads, use pg_read_barrier(); when it is separating two stores, use
> >pg_write_barrier(); when it is a separating a load and a store (in either
> >order), use pg_memory_barrier().

I think the documentation is just worded in an easy to misunderstand
way. If you look at the following example, we're fine.
The "two stores", "two loads" it is talking about are what's happening
in one thread of execution. The important part of a read barrier is that
it forces a fresh LOAD, separated from earlier LOADs to the same
address.

> The function RecoveryInProgress() function does just one load, to read the
> variable, and wouldn't even need a barrier by itself. The other load or
> store that needs to be protected by the barrier happens in the caller,
> before or after the function, and we can't say for sure if it's a load or a
> store. So, let's use pg_memory_barrier().

The caller uses a spinlock, so it's guaranteed to write out before the
spinlock is released. A write barrier (the spinlock in the startup
process) should always be paired by a read barrier.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

What confuses me is that pg_read_barrier() is just a compiler barrier on
x86[-64] in barrier.h. According to my knowledge it needs to be an
lfence or the full barrier?
The linked papers from Paul McKenney - which are a great read - seem to
agree?

On 2013-09-27 23:12:17 +0200, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2013-09-27 23:28:37 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> > The function RecoveryInProgress() function does just one load, to read the
> > variable, and wouldn't even need a barrier by itself. The other load or
> > store that needs to be protected by the barrier happens in the caller,
> > before or after the function, and we can't say for sure if it's a load or a
> > store. So, let's use pg_memory_barrier().
>
> The caller uses a spinlock, so it's guaranteed to write out before the
> spinlock is released. A write barrier (the spinlock in the startup
> process) should always be paired by a read barrier.

s/caller/startup process/

Greetings,

Andres Freund

On 9/27/13 3:00 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> Attached is simplified patch that replaces the spinlock with a read
> barrier based on a suggestion made by Andres offlist.

This patch doesn't apply.