Re: proposal: fix corner use case of variadic fuctions usage

Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: proposal: fix corner use case of variadic fuctions usage
Date: 2012-11-04 11:49:08
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Hello

here is patch, that enables using a variadic parameter modifier for
variadic "any" function.

Motivation for this patch is consistent behave of "format" function,
but it fixes behave of all this class variadic functions.

postgres=> -- check pass variadic argument
postgres=> select format('%s, %s', variadic array['Hello','World']);
format
──────────────
Hello, World
(1 row)

postgres=> -- multidimensional array is supported
postgres=> select format('%s, %s', variadic
array[['Nazdar','Svete'],['Hello','World']]);
format
───────────────────────────────
{Nazdar,Svete}, {Hello,World}
(1 row)

It respect Tom's comments - it is based on short-lived FmgrInfo
structures, that are created immediately before function invocation.

Note: there is unsolved issue - reusing transformed arguments - so it
is little bit suboptimal for VARIADIC RETURNING MultiFuncCall
functions, where we don't need to repeat a unpacking of array value.

Regards

Pavel

Attachment Content-Type Size
variadic_argument_for_variadic_any_function.diff application/octet-stream 16.6 KB

On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>wrote:

> Hello
>
> here is patch, that enables using a variadic parameter modifier for
> variadic "any" function.
>
> Motivation for this patch is consistent behave of "format" function,
> but it fixes behave of all this class variadic functions.
>
> postgres=> -- check pass variadic argument
> postgres=> select format('%s, %s', variadic array['Hello','World']);
> format
> ──────────────
> Hello, World
> (1 row)
>
> postgres=> -- multidimensional array is supported
> postgres=> select format('%s, %s', variadic
> array[['Nazdar','Svete'],['Hello','World']]);
> format
> ───────────────────────────────
> {Nazdar,Svete}, {Hello,World}
> (1 row)
>
> It respect Tom's comments - it is based on short-lived FmgrInfo
> structures, that are created immediately before function invocation.
>
> Note: there is unsolved issue - reusing transformed arguments - so it
> is little bit suboptimal for VARIADIC RETURNING MultiFuncCall
> functions, where we don't need to repeat a unpacking of array value.
>
> Regards
>
> Pavel

Hi Pavel.

I am trying to review this patch and on my work computer everything
compiles and tests perfectly. However, on my laptop, the regression tests
don't pass with "cache lookup failed for type XYZ" where XYZ is some number
that does not appear to be any type oid.

I don't really know where to go from here. I am asking that other people
try this patch to see if they get errors as well.

Vik

PS: I won't be able to answer this thread until Tuesday.

> I am trying to review this patch and on my work computer everything compiles
> and tests perfectly. However, on my laptop, the regression tests don't pass
> with "cache lookup failed for type XYZ" where XYZ is some number that does
> not appear to be any type oid.
>
> I don't really know where to go from here. I am asking that other people try
> this patch to see if they get errors as well.

yes, I checked it on .x86_64 and I had a same problems

probably there was more than one issue - I had to fix a creating a
unpacked params and I had a issue with gcc optimalization when I used
a stack variable for fcinfo.

Now I fixed these issues and I hope so it will work on all platforms

Regards

Pavel Stehule

> Vik
>
> PS: I won't be able to answer this thread until Tuesday.

Attachment Content-Type Size
variadic_argument_for_variadic_any_function_20121201.diff application/octet-stream 16.6 KB

> I am trying to review this patch and on my work computer everything
> compiles and tests perfectly. However, on my laptop, the regression tests
> don't pass with "cache lookup failed for type XYZ" where XYZ is some number
> that does not appear to be any type oid.
>
> I don't really know where to go from here. I am asking that other people
> try this patch to see if they get errors as well.

I get the same error. I'll mark this as "waiting on author" in the
commitfest.

- Heikki

2012/12/5 Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>:
> On 30.11.2012 12:18, Vik Reykja wrote:
>>
>> I am trying to review this patch and on my work computer everything
>> compiles and tests perfectly. However, on my laptop, the regression tests
>> don't pass with "cache lookup failed for type XYZ" where XYZ is some
>> number
>> that does not appear to be any type oid.
>>
>> I don't really know where to go from here. I am asking that other people
>> try this patch to see if they get errors as well.
>

> I get the same error. I'll mark this as "waiting on author" in the
> commitfest.

it was with new patch?

http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/CAFj8pRDyXfXZcL2FRESLU-dPqaOKOu-ekKY12tBzdO559PW5uQ@mail.gmail.com

Regards

Pavel

On 05.12.2012 10:38, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> 2012/12/5 Heikki Linnakangas<hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>:
>> I get the same error. I'll mark this as "waiting on author" in the
>> commitfest.
>
> it was with new patch?
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/CAFj8pRDyXfXZcL2FRESLU-dPqaOKOu-ekKY12tBzdO559PW5uQ@mail.gmail.com

Ah, no, sorry. The new patch passes regressions just fine. Never mind..

- Heikki

2012/12/5 Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>:
> On 05.12.2012 10:38, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>>
>> 2012/12/5 Heikki Linnakangas<hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>:
>>
>>> I get the same error. I'll mark this as "waiting on author" in the
>>> commitfest.
>>

>> it was with new patch?
>>

>> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/CAFj8pRDyXfXZcL2FRESLU-dPqaOKOu-ekKY12tBzdO559PW5uQ@mail.gmail.com
>

> Ah, no, sorry. The new patch passes regressions just fine. Never mind..

:)

Pavel

On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 1:14 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>wrote:

> Hello
>

> > Hi Pavel.
> >
> > I am trying to review this patch and on my work computer everything
> compiles
> > and tests perfectly. However, on my laptop, the regression tests don't
> pass
> > with "cache lookup failed for type XYZ" where XYZ is some number that
> does
> > not appear to be any type oid.
> >
> > I don't really know where to go from here. I am asking that other people
> try
> > this patch to see if they get errors as well.
> >

> yes, I checked it on .x86_64 and I had a same problems
>
> probably there was more than one issue - I had to fix a creating a
> unpacked params and I had a issue with gcc optimalization when I used
> a stack variable for fcinfo.
>
> Now I fixed these issues and I hope so it will work on all platforms

It appears to work a lot better, yes. I played around with it a little bit
and wasn't able to break it, so I'm marking it as ready for committer.
Some wordsmithing will need to be done on the code comments.