Re: PATCH: decreasing memory needlessly consumed by array_agg

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PATCH: decreasing memory needlessly consumed by array_agg
Date: 2014-03-28 02:00:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

this is a patch for issue reported in October 2013 in pgsql-bugs:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/3839201.Nfa2RvcheX@techfox.foxi

Frank van Vugt reported that a simple query with array_agg() and large
number of groups (1e7) fails because of OOM even on machine with 32GB of
RAM.

So for example doing this:

CREATE TABLE test (a INT, b INT);
INSERT INTO test SELECT i, i FROM generate_series(1,10000000) s(i);

SELECT a, array_agg(b) FROM test GROUP BY a;

allocates huge amounts of RAM and easily forces the machine into
swapping and eventually gets killed by OOM (on my workstation with 8GB
of RAM that happens almost immediately).

Upon investigation, it seems caused by a combination of issues:

(1) per-group memory contexts - each group state uses a dedicated
memory context, which is defined like this (in accumArrayResult):

arr_context = AllocSetContextCreate(rcontext,
"accumArrayResult",
ALLOCSET_DEFAULT_MINSIZE,
ALLOCSET_DEFAULT_INITSIZE,
ALLOCSET_DEFAULT_MAXSIZE);

which actually means this

arr_context = AllocSetContextCreate(rcontext,
"accumArrayResult",
0,
(8*1024),
(8*1024*1024));

so each group will allocate at least 8kB of memory (of the first
palloc call). With 1e7 groups, that's ~80GB of RAM, even if each
group contains just 1 item.

(2) minimum block size in aset.c - The first idea I got was to decrease
the block size in the allocator. So I decreased it to 256B but I
was still getting OOM. Then I found that aset.c contains this:

if (initBlockSize < 1024)
initBlockSize = 1024;

so effectively the lowest allowed block size is 1kB. Which means
~10GB of memory for the state data (i.e. not considering overhead
of the hash table etc., which is not negligible).

Considering we're talking about 1e7 32-bit integers, i.e. 40MB
of raw data, that's still pretty excessive (250x more).

While I question whether the 1kB minimum block size makes sense, I
really think per-group memory contexts don't make much sense here. What
is the point of per-group memory contexts?

The memory will be allocated when the first row of the group is
received, and won't be allocated until the whole result set is
processed. At least that's how it works for Hash Aggregate.

However that's exactly how it would work with a single memory context,
which has the significant benefit that all the groups share the same
memory (so the minimum block size is not an issue).

That is exactly what the patch aims to do - it removes the per-group
memory contexts and reuses the main memory context of the aggregate
itself.

The patch also does one more thing - it changes how the arrays (in the
aggregate state) grow. Originally it worked like this

/* initial size */
astate->alen = 64;

/* when full, grow exponentially */
if (astate->nelems >= astate->alen)
astate->alen *= 2;

so the array length would grow like this 64 -> 128 -> 256 -> 512 ...
(note we're talking about elements, not bytes, so with with 32-bit
integers it's actually 256B -> 512B -> 1024B -> ...).

While I do understand the point of this (minimizing palloc overhead), I
find this pretty dangerous, especially in case of array_agg(). I've
modified the growth like this:

/* initial size */
astate->alen = 4;

/* when full, grow exponentially */
if (astate->nelems >= astate->alen)
astate->alen += 4;

I admit that might be a bit too aggressive, and maybe there's a better
way to do this - with better balance between safety and speed. I was
thinking about something like this:

/* initial size */
astate->alen = 4;

/* when full, grow exponentially */
if (astate->nelems >= astate->alen)
if (astate->alen < 128)
astate->alen *= 2;
else
astate->alen += 128;

i.e. initial size with exponential growth, but capped at 128B.

regards
Tomas

Attachment Content-Type Size
array-agg.patch text/x-diff 1.6 KB

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 10:00 PM, Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz> wrote:
> The patch also does one more thing - it changes how the arrays (in the
> aggregate state) grow. Originally it worked like this
>
> /* initial size */
> astate->alen = 64;
>
> /* when full, grow exponentially */
> if (astate->nelems >= astate->alen)
> astate->alen *= 2;
>
> so the array length would grow like this 64 -> 128 -> 256 -> 512 ...
> (note we're talking about elements, not bytes, so with with 32-bit
> integers it's actually 256B -> 512B -> 1024B -> ...).
>
> While I do understand the point of this (minimizing palloc overhead), I
> find this pretty dangerous, especially in case of array_agg(). I've
> modified the growth like this:
>
> /* initial size */
> astate->alen = 4;
>
> /* when full, grow exponentially */
> if (astate->nelems >= astate->alen)
> astate->alen += 4;
>
> I admit that might be a bit too aggressive, and maybe there's a better
> way to do this - with better balance between safety and speed. I was
> thinking about something like this:
>

> /* initial size */
> astate->alen = 4;
>
> /* when full, grow exponentially */
> if (astate->nelems >= astate->alen)
> if (astate->alen < 128)
> astate->alen *= 2;
> else
> astate->alen += 128;
>
> i.e. initial size with exponential growth, but capped at 128B.

So I think this kind of thing is very sensible, but the last time I
suggested something similar, I got told "no":

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAEYLb_WLGHT7yJLaRE9PPeRt5RKd5ZJbb15tE+kpgejgQKORyA@mail.gmail.com

But I think you're right and the objections previously raised are
wrong. I suspect that the point at which we should stop doubling is
higher than 128 elements, because that's only 8kB, which really isn't
that big - and the idea that the resizing overhead takes only
amortized constant time is surely appealing. But I still think that
doubling *forever* is a bad idea, here and there. The fact that we've
written the code that way in lots of places doesn't make it the right
algorithm.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

> On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 10:00 PM, Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz> wrote:
>> The patch also does one more thing - it changes how the arrays (in the
>> aggregate state) grow. Originally it worked like this
>>
>> /* initial size */
>> astate->alen = 64;
>>
>> /* when full, grow exponentially */
>> if (astate->nelems >= astate->alen)
>> astate->alen *= 2;
>>
>> so the array length would grow like this 64 -> 128 -> 256 -> 512 ...
>> (note we're talking about elements, not bytes, so with with 32-bit
>> integers it's actually 256B -> 512B -> 1024B -> ...).
>>
>> While I do understand the point of this (minimizing palloc overhead), I
>> find this pretty dangerous, especially in case of array_agg(). I've
>> modified the growth like this:
>>
>> /* initial size */
>> astate->alen = 4;
>>
>> /* when full, grow exponentially */
>> if (astate->nelems >= astate->alen)
>> astate->alen += 4;
>>
>> I admit that might be a bit too aggressive, and maybe there's a better
>> way to do this - with better balance between safety and speed. I was
>> thinking about something like this:
>>

>> /* initial size */
>> astate->alen = 4;
>>
>> /* when full, grow exponentially */
>> if (astate->nelems >= astate->alen)
>> if (astate->alen < 128)
>> astate->alen *= 2;
>> else
>> astate->alen += 128;
>>
>> i.e. initial size with exponential growth, but capped at 128B.
>
> So I think this kind of thing is very sensible, but the last time I
> suggested something similar, I got told "no":
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAEYLb_WLGHT7yJLaRE9PPeRt5RKd5ZJbb15tE+kpgejgQKORyA@mail.gmail.com
>
> But I think you're right and the objections previously raised are
> wrong. I suspect that the point at which we should stop doubling is
> higher than 128 elements, because that's only 8kB, which really
> isn't that big - and the idea that the resizing overhead takes only
> amortized constant time is surely appealing. But I still think that
> doubling *forever* is a bad idea, here and there. The fact that
> we've written the code that way in lots of places doesn't make it the
> right algorithm.

I've been thinking about it a bit more and maybe the doubling is not
that bad idea, after all. What I'd like to see is a solution that does
"wastes" less than some known fraction of the allocated memory, and
apparently that's what doubling does ...

Let's assume we have many buffers (arrays in array_agg), allocated in
this manner. Let's assume the buffers are independent, i.e. the doubling
is not somehow "synchronized" for the buffers.

Now, at arbitrary time the buffers should be ~75% full on average. There
will be buffers that were just doubled (50% full), buffers that will be
doubled soon (100% full) and buffers somewhere in between. But on
average the buffers should be 75%. That means we're "wasting" 25% memory
on average, which seems quite acceptable to me. We could probably use a
different growth rate (say 1.5x, resulting in 12.5% memory being
"wasted"), but I don't see this as the main problem (and I won't fight
for this part of array_agg patch).

The "current" array_agg however violates some of the assumptions
mentioned above, because it

(1) pre-allocates quite large number of items (64) at the beginning,
resulting in ~98% of memory being "wasted" initially

(2) allocates one memory context per group, with 8kB initial size, so
you're actually wasting ~99.999% of the memory

(3) thanks to the dedicated memory contexts, the doubling is pretty
much pointless up until you cross the 8kB boundary

IMNSHO these are the issues we really should fix - by lowering the
initial element count (64->4) and using a single memory context.

regards
Tomas