ALTER TABLE ... ALTER CONSTRAINT

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: ALTER TABLE ... ALTER CONSTRAINT
Date: 2013-06-08 20:45:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

While fiddling with FK tuning, it was useful to be able to enable and
disable the DEFERRED mode of constraints.

That is not currently possible in SQL, so I wrote this patch. Without
this you have to drop and then re-add a constraint, which is
impractical for large tables.

e.g.
CREATE TABLE fktable (id integer, fk integer REFERENCES pktable (id));

ALTER TABLE foo
ALTER CONSTRAINT fktable_fk_fkey DEFERRED INITIALLY IMMEDIATE;

Includes docs and tests.

Currently works for FKs only. Potentially other constraints can be
supported in future.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

alter_table_alter_constraint.v1.sql application/octet-stream 11.3 KB

On 2013-06-08 21:45:24 +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> While fiddling with FK tuning, it was useful to be able to enable and
> disable the DEFERRED mode of constraints.
>
> That is not currently possible in SQL, so I wrote this patch. Without
> this you have to drop and then re-add a constraint, which is
> impractical for large tables.
>
> e.g.
> CREATE TABLE fktable (id integer, fk integer REFERENCES pktable (id));
>
> ALTER TABLE foo
> ALTER CONSTRAINT fktable_fk_fkey DEFERRED INITIALLY IMMEDIATE;
>
> Includes docs and tests.
>
> Currently works for FKs only. Potentially other constraints can be
> supported in future.

I haven't looked at the patch in detail, but I am very, very much in
favor of the feature in general… I have wished for this more than once,
and it certainly cost me more time working around it than it would have
cost to implement it.

Thanks,

Andres Freund

Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On 2013-06-08 21:45:24 +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:

>> ALTER TABLE foo
>>     ALTER CONSTRAINT fktable_fk_fkey DEFERRED INITIALLY IMMEDIATE;

> I haven't looked at the patch in detail, but I am very, very much in
> favor of the feature in general… I have wished for this more than once

+1

--
Kevin Grittner
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

> I haven't looked at the patch in detail, but I am very, very much in
> favor of the feature in general… I have wished for this more than once,

+1

--
Dimitri Fontaine

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 11:06 PM, Dimitri Fontaine
<dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>wrote:

> Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> > I haven't looked at the patch in detail, but I am very, very much in
> > favor of the feature in general… I have wished for this more than once,
>
> +1

+1. It will be useful.
--
Michael