WALWriter active during recovery

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: WALWriter active during recovery
Date: 2014-12-15 18:51:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Currently, WALReceiver writes and fsyncs data it receives. Clearly,
while we are waiting for an fsync we aren't doing any other useful
work.

Following patch starts WALWriter during recovery and makes it
responsible for fsyncing data, allowing WALReceiver to progress other
useful actions.

At present this is a WIP patch, for code comments only. Don't bother
with anything other than code questions at this stage.

Implementation questions are

* How should we wake WALReceiver, since it waits on a poll(). Should
we use SIGUSR1, which is already used for latch waits, or another
signal?

* Should we introduce some pacing delays if the WALreceiver gets too
far ahead of apply?

* Other questions you may have?

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

walwriter_active_in_recovery.v1.patch application/octet-stream 20.7 KB

On 2014-12-15 18:51:44 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> Currently, WALReceiver writes and fsyncs data it receives. Clearly,
> while we are waiting for an fsync we aren't doing any other useful
> work.

Well, it can still buffer data on the network level, but there's
definitely limits to that. So I can see this as being useful.

> Following patch starts WALWriter during recovery and makes it
> responsible for fsyncing data, allowing WALReceiver to progress other
> useful actions.
>
> At present this is a WIP patch, for code comments only. Don't bother
> with anything other than code questions at this stage.
>
> Implementation questions are
>
> * How should we wake WALReceiver, since it waits on a poll(). Should
> we use SIGUSR1, which is already used for latch waits, or another
> signal?

It's not entirely trivial, but also not hard, to make it use the latch
code for waiting. It'd probably end up requiring less code because then
we could just scratch libqpwalreceiver.c:libpq_select().

> * Should we introduce some pacing delays if the WALreceiver gets too
> far ahead of apply?

Hm. Why don't we simply start fsyncing in the receiver itself at regular
intervals? If already synced that's cheap, if not, it'll pace us.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

On 12/15/2014 08:51 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> Currently, WALReceiver writes and fsyncs data it receives. Clearly,
> while we are waiting for an fsync we aren't doing any other useful
> work.
>
> Following patch starts WALWriter during recovery and makes it
> responsible for fsyncing data, allowing WALReceiver to progress other
> useful actions.

What other useful actions can WAL receiver do while it's waiting? It
doesn't do much else than receive WAL, and fsync it to disk.

- Heikki

On 2014-12-16 16:12:40 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 12/15/2014 08:51 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> >Currently, WALReceiver writes and fsyncs data it receives. Clearly,
> >while we are waiting for an fsync we aren't doing any other useful
> >work.
> >
> >Following patch starts WALWriter during recovery and makes it
> >responsible for fsyncing data, allowing WALReceiver to progress other
> >useful actions.
>
> What other useful actions can WAL receiver do while it's waiting? It doesn't
> do much else than receive WAL, and fsync it to disk.

It can actually receive further data from the network and write it to
disk? On a relatively low latency network the buffers aren't that
large. Right now we generate quite a bursty IO pattern with the disks
alternating between idle and fully busy.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

On 16 December 2014 at 14:12, Heikki Linnakangas
<hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com> wrote:
> On 12/15/2014 08:51 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
>>
>> Currently, WALReceiver writes and fsyncs data it receives. Clearly,
>> while we are waiting for an fsync we aren't doing any other useful
>> work.
>>
>> Following patch starts WALWriter during recovery and makes it
>> responsible for fsyncing data, allowing WALReceiver to progress other
>> useful actions.
>

> What other useful actions can WAL receiver do while it's waiting? It doesn't
> do much else than receive WAL, and fsync it to disk.

So now it will only need to do one of those two things.

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 6:07 PM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On 16 December 2014 at 14:12, Heikki Linnakangas
> <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com> wrote:
>> On 12/15/2014 08:51 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
>>>
>>> Currently, WALReceiver writes and fsyncs data it receives. Clearly,
>>> while we are waiting for an fsync we aren't doing any other useful
>>> work.
>>>
>>> Following patch starts WALWriter during recovery and makes it
>>> responsible for fsyncing data, allowing WALReceiver to progress other
>>> useful actions.
On many Linux systems it may not do that much (2.6.32 and 3.2 are bad,
3.13 is better but still it slows the fsync).

If there's a fsync in progress WALReceiver will:
1- slow the fsync because its writes to the same file are grabbed by the fsync
2- stall until the end of fsync.

from 'stracing' a test program simulating this pattern:
two processes, one writes to a file the second fsync it.

20279 11:51:24.037108 fsync(5 <unfinished ...>
20278 11:51:24.053524 <... nanosleep resumed> NULL) = 0 <0.020281>
20278 11:51:24.053691 lseek(3, 1383612416, SEEK_SET) = 1383612416 <0.000119>
20278 11:51:24.053965 write(3, "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"...,
8192) = 8192 <0.000111>
20278 11:51:24.054190 nanosleep({0, 20000000}, NULL) = 0 <0.020243>
20278 11:51:24.404386 lseek(3, 194772992, SEEK_SET <unfinished ...>
20279 11:51:24.754123 <... fsync resumed> ) = 0 <0.716971>
20279 11:51:24.754202 close(5 <unfinished ...>
20278 11:51:24.754232 <... lseek resumed> ) = 194772992 <0.349825>

Yes that's a 300ms lseek...

>> What other useful actions can WAL receiver do while it's waiting? It doesn't
>> do much else than receive WAL, and fsync it to disk.
>
> So now it will only need to do one of those two things.

Regards
Didier