Re: Revisit items marked 'NO' in sql_features.txt

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Robins Tharakan <tharakan(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Revisit items marked 'NO' in sql_features.txt
Date: 2013-06-09 23:39:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

While reviewing sql_features.txt, found a few items marked NO ('Not
supported') whereas, at the outset, they seemed to be supported. Apologies,
if this is already considered and / or still marked 'NO' for a reason, but
a list of such items mentioned below:

F202 TRUNCATE TABLE: identity column restart option NO

F263 Comma-separated predicates in simple CASE expression NO

T041 Basic LOB data type support 01 BLOB data type NO

T051 Row types NO

T174 Identity columns NO

T176 Sequence generator support NO

T177 Sequence generator support: simple restart option NO

T522 Default values for IN parameters of SQL-invoked procedures
NO

T571 Array-returning external SQL-invoked functions NO

--
Robins Tharakan

On 10 June 2013 00:39, Robins Tharakan <tharakan(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> While reviewing sql_features.txt, found a few items marked NO ('Not
> supported') whereas, at the outset, they seemed to be supported. Apologies,
> if this is already considered and / or still marked 'NO' for a reason, but a
> list of such items mentioned below:

I think you'll need to check the standard yourself and report back. I
don't suppose anybody remembers the details enough without checking
the standard. There's usually a small gotcha, and we are scrupulous to
report we either fully meet the standard or do not.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

On 6/9/13 7:39 PM, Robins Tharakan wrote:
> F202 TRUNCATE TABLE: identity column restart option NO

We don't support identity columns.

> F263 Comma-separated predicates in simple CASE expression NO

We don't support that.

> T041 Basic LOB data type support 01 BLOB data type NO

We don't support the BLOB type.

> T051 Row types NO

Needs checking.

> T174 Identity columns NO

We don't support that.

> T176 Sequence generator support NO
>
> T177 Sequence generator support: simple restart option NO

I think someone has determined that our sequences don't match the SQL
standard's sequences. I don't know why, though. There are some syntax
differences, in any case.

> T522 Default values for IN parameters of SQL-invoked procedures
> NO

We don't support procedures.

> T571 Array-returning external SQL-invoked functions NO

PostgreSQL arrays are not compatible with SQL.