Re: Inconsistency in libpq connection parameters, and extension thereof

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Daniel Farina <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Inconsistency in libpq connection parameters, and extension thereof
Date: 2012-06-06 01:25:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello list,

I have been playing with the URI connection strings in the bleeding
edge 9.2 and noticed an inconsistency with the old connection string
behavior:

$ psql 'host=/var/run/postgresql dbname=postgres arbitrary=property'
psql: invalid connection option "arbitrary"

(psql exits with an error code immediately)

vs.

$ psql postgres://%2Fvar%2Frun%2Fpostgresql/?arbitrary=property
WARNING: ignoring unrecognized URI query parameter: arbitrary

(subsequent successful connection)

Both of these appear to be checked entirely client-side in libpq.

I view both of these approaches as problematic, because what I really
want for a more ambitious set of projects is to pass arbitrary
properties in the startup packet from libpq, as so that FEBE proxies
and potentially Postgres backend hooks/extensions can have a chance to
process the extra startup properties.

The clear downside of deferring some error messages until
post-connection is that typos would be harder to catch, so it seems
that warning should be retained for un-processed properties, but
instead be issued by the server. That might also make
forward-compatibility of libpq more complete, although I know that is
not an express goal (consider cases like when application_name was
added as a valid connection parameter, though).

This could also be useful for Postgres extensions.

Please send objections on the basis of principle.

If objections on the basis of principle are not heard or are
addressable, I'll follow-up with a summary of places where we might
need changes and ask for objections on mechanism next.

--
fdr

Daniel Farina <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com> writes:
> I have been playing with the URI connection strings in the bleeding
> edge 9.2 and noticed an inconsistency with the old connection string
> behavior:

> $ psql 'host=/var/run/postgresql dbname=postgres arbitrary=property'
> psql: invalid connection option "arbitrary"

> vs.

> $ psql postgres://%2Fvar%2Frun%2Fpostgresql/?arbitrary=property
> WARNING: ignoring unrecognized URI query parameter: arbitrary

Um. We oughta fix that. I'm not necessarily wedded to the old
throw-an-error definition, but there seems no good reason for these
two syntaxes to act inconsistently.

> I view both of these approaches as problematic, because what I really
> want for a more ambitious set of projects is to pass arbitrary
> properties in the startup packet from libpq, as so that FEBE proxies
> and potentially Postgres backend hooks/extensions can have a chance to
> process the extra startup properties.

The connection string does not really seem like the right place for that.

> The clear downside of deferring some error messages until
> post-connection is that typos would be harder to catch,

Or, indeed, impossible to catch. What if the typo causes libpq to fail
to contact the server at all? Good luck getting any assistance from
libpq in spotting your typo, if that happens and we've adopted this
sort of approach.

We already have a mechanism (PGOPTIONS, aka options=foo) for passing
through settings that will not be interpreted by libpq. I think that
stuff that is meant to be handled at the server end should be confined
to that.

regards, tom lane

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 6:43 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Daniel Farina <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com> writes:
>> I have been playing with the URI connection strings in the bleeding
>> edge 9.2 and noticed an inconsistency with the old connection string
>> behavior:
>
>> $ psql 'host=/var/run/postgresql dbname=postgres arbitrary=property'
>> psql: invalid connection option "arbitrary"
>
>> vs.
>
>> $ psql postgres://%2Fvar%2Frun%2Fpostgresql/?arbitrary=property
>> WARNING: ignoring unrecognized URI query parameter: arbitrary
>
> Um.  We oughta fix that.  I'm not necessarily wedded to the old
> throw-an-error definition, but there seems no good reason for these
> two syntaxes to act inconsistently.

I agree with that. The URIs may have been done this way as a
concession to some small fragmentation that may have taken place
before URIs were standardized, but perhaps the author can speak to
that (he has been put on the To: list for this mail).

>> The clear downside of deferring some error messages until
>> post-connection is that typos would be harder to catch,
>
> Or, indeed, impossible to catch.  What if the typo causes libpq to fail
> to contact the server at all?  Good luck getting any assistance from
> libpq in spotting your typo, if that happens and we've adopted this
> sort of approach.
>
> We already have a mechanism (PGOPTIONS, aka options=foo) for passing
> through settings that will not be interpreted by libpq.  I think that
> stuff that is meant to be handled at the server end should be confined
> to that.

Interesting. Okay, I did not know about that, and didn't want to go so
far as to suggest a new thing to handle such options, but since there
is an older thing, that's handy. However, it seems like as-is it may
be too ugly to have is nested in an additional layer of quoting when
not being specified via environment variable. Does that seem like a
generally agreeable statement?

If that is the case, is there a convention we can use to separate the
parts of the connection string (in both representations) into the
parts sent to the server and the part that the client needs? We
already abuse this a little bit because URI syntax (in general, not
just our rendition of it) leaves little room for extension for
parameters on the client side. Consider ?sslmode=require.

In both representations, the net effect of a typo would be that
instead of magically reading some properties on the client side,
they'd be sent to the server. How often is this going to be so wrong
that one cannot send a response from the server indicating to the user
their error? On casual inspection it doesn't seem like prohibitively
often, but I haven't mulled over that for very long.

On that topic, the description of it in the libpq source is a little
bit mystifying, as I did see it but passed over it:

{"options", "PGOPTIONS", DefaultOption, NULL,
"Backend-Debug-Options", "D", 40},

If they're just options, what does this have to do with debugging? I
presumed some more specific purpose.

To end my email with a request for a pony, I think it'd be reasonable
to send these kinds of options again even while remaining connected.
One might be able appropriate "SET" statements to that purpose, but I
am not sure. This is mostly to the purpose of routing software, but I
could imagine other uses...

--
fdr

Daniel Farina <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com> writes:
> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 6:43 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> We already have a mechanism (PGOPTIONS, aka options=foo) for passing
>> through settings that will not be interpreted by libpq. I think that
>> stuff that is meant to be handled at the server end should be confined
>> to that.

> Interesting. Okay, I did not know about that, and didn't want to go so
> far as to suggest a new thing to handle such options, but since there
> is an older thing, that's handy. However, it seems like as-is it may
> be too ugly to have is nested in an additional layer of quoting when
> not being specified via environment variable. Does that seem like a
> generally agreeable statement?

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. The current syntax for options
certainly carries plenty of historical baggage. The main point here
IMO is that libpq should have some way of telling parameters-for-the-
server from things that are meant to be its own parameters.

> If that is the case, is there a convention we can use to separate the
> parts of the connection string (in both representations) into the
> parts sent to the server and the part that the client needs?

Rather than imagining this as two parts of the connection string,
I think it would be nicer if we could have a convention that modifies
the names of server-side parameters. In the connection string syntax
we could perhaps do something like

'host=localhost dbname=foo x:param=value1 x:anotherparam=value2'

This preserves the benefits of order-independence of the items, and
seems at least a little bit more able to recognize typos than your
original concept. I don't know if the specific notation "x:" would
translate well into URI notation, but if not that, maybe there's
something else that would.

> In both representations, the net effect of a typo would be that
> instead of magically reading some properties on the client side,
> they'd be sent to the server. How often is this going to be so wrong
> that one cannot send a response from the server indicating to the user
> their error?

If you misspell "host" for instance, you've got a problem. More
generally, if you misspell "user" or "dbname" you're likely to get
an authentication-related error that would not be at all helpful at
leading your mind to the problem. (And it's not like these things
are so consistently named that nobody ever gets 'em wrong...)

I would not expect the server to start examining optional parameters
until the connection has been successfully authenticated, so any
typo in the basic connection properties is going to lead to unhelpful
behavior if it causes us to think the item is an optional parameter
rather than a misspelled one.

regards, tom lane

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 8:16 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> The main point here
> IMO is that libpq should have some way of telling parameters-for-the-
> server from things that are meant to be its own parameters.

I agree with this.

>> If that is the case, is there a convention we can use to separate the
>> parts of the connection string (in both representations) into the
>> parts sent to the server and the part that the client needs?
>
> Rather than imagining this as two parts of the connection string,
> I think it would be nicer if we could have a convention that modifies
> the names of server-side parameters.  In the connection string syntax
> we could perhaps do something like
>
>        'host=localhost dbname=foo x:param=value1 x:anotherparam=value2'
>
> This preserves the benefits of order-independence of the items, and
> seems at least a little bit more able to recognize typos than your
> original concept.  I don't know if the specific notation "x:" would
> translate well into URI notation, but if not that, maybe there's
> something else that would.

How about "x-param=foo&x-anotherparam=bar"? I think this could work
in the connection syntax as well: "host=localhost x-param=value1".

It doesn't scan as visibly as ":", but probably will cause less
escaping pain across the board. It also looks a lot like a
lower-cased HTTP header or email-header, so people might make the
right association right away.

>> In both representations, the net effect of a typo would be that
>> instead of magically reading some properties on the client side,
>> they'd be sent to the server.  How often is this going  to be so wrong
>> that one cannot send a response from the server indicating to the user
>> their error?
>
> If you misspell "host" for instance, you've got a problem.  More
> generally, if you misspell "user" or "dbname" you're likely to get
> an authentication-related error that would not be at all helpful at
> leading your mind to the problem.  (And it's not like these things
> are so consistently named that nobody ever gets 'em wrong...)

Well, I wonder if there's a way to mitigate that, but I think as long
as we're satisfied thus far with a prefix there's no need to talk
about this particular thorn, as it can be considered sidestepped.

If we go so far as to namespace with something like "x:" or "x-" and
to have such a rigorous concept of extension in protocol related
matters, we're in a good place to have a nice cohesive expansion (at
some later time) into more "x-..." headers exchanged between host in
client mid-communication, beyond just startup. At some later date.

Would these hypothetical extension-pairs be using the "options" device
at startup time, or something else (possibly brand new)? I'm not
ideally informed as to contemplate on if reuse of an existing thing
makes sense.

--
fdr