Re: documentation issue - extensions

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: documentation issue - extensions
Date: 2011-12-07 12:27:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello

I am trying to create simple extension according to doc
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/interactive/extend-extensions.html

I have a problem with line that contains backslash statement

-- complain if script is sourced in psql, rather than via CREATE
EXTENSION
\echo Use "CREATE EXTENSION pair" to load this file. \quit

this content causes a error

postgres=# create extension gdlib;
ERROR: syntax error at or near "\"

without this line extension is created fine.

Is documentation correct?

Regards

Pavel

> I am trying to create simple extension according to doc
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/interactive/extend-extensions.html

> I have a problem with line that contains backslash statement

> -- complain if script is sourced in psql, rather than via CREATE
> EXTENSION
> \echo Use "CREATE EXTENSION pair" to load this file. \quit

> this content causes a error

> postgres=# create extension gdlib;
> ERROR: syntax error at or near "\"

Are you testing in an up-to-date server? We added the ability to handle
that post-9.1.0.

regards, tom lane

> Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> I am trying to create simple extension according to doc
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/interactive/extend-extensions.html
>
>> I have a problem with line that contains backslash statement
>
>> -- complain if script is sourced in psql, rather than via CREATE
>> EXTENSION
>> \echo Use "CREATE EXTENSION pair" to load this file. \quit
>
>> this content causes a error
>
>> postgres=# create extension gdlib;
>> ERROR:  syntax error at or near "\"
>
> Are you testing in an up-to-date server?  We added the ability to handle
> that post-9.1.0.

it was tested on 9.1.1
>                        regards, tom lane

> 2011/12/7 Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>:
>> Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>>> I have a problem with line that contains backslash statement

>> Are you testing in an up-to-date server? We added the ability to handle
>> that post-9.1.0.

> it was tested on 9.1.1

[ checks release notes... ] Well, we added it in 9.1.2, so there you are.

regards, tom lane

> Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>
>>> Are you testing in an up-to-date server?  We added the ability to handle
>>> that post-9.1.0.
>
>> it was tested on 9.1.1
>
> [ checks release notes... ]  Well, we added it in 9.1.2, so there you are.

I can upgrade - it's not problem - just it is surprise for me -
because documentation is not related to mayor version. Maybe this
issue can be documented somewhere

Regards

Pavel

Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I can upgrade - it's not problem - just it is surprise for me -
> because documentation is not related to mayor version. Maybe this
> issue can be documented somewhere

Don't the release notes, mentioning that the bug is fixed in 9.1.2,
cover that?

-Kevin

2011/12/7 Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>:
> Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> I can upgrade - it's not problem - just it is surprise for me -
>> because documentation is not related to mayor version. Maybe this
>> issue can be documented somewhere
>
> Don't the release notes, mentioning that the bug is fixed in 9.1.2,
> cover that?

It is little bit difficult detect this issue as bug

Regards

Pavel

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 4:37 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> 2011/12/7 Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>:
>> Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>>> I can upgrade - it's not problem - just it is surprise for me -
>>> because documentation is not related to mayor version. Maybe this
>>> issue can be documented somewhere
>>
>> Don't the release notes, mentioning that the bug is fixed in 9.1.2,
>> cover that?
>
> It is little bit difficult detect this issue as bug

It's not a bug. It's an not-forward-compatible behavior change in a
minor release.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

> On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 4:37 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>>> Don't the release notes, mentioning that the bug is fixed in 9.1.2,
>>> cover that?
>>
>> It is little bit difficult detect this issue as bug
>
> It's not a bug.  It's an not-forward-compatible behavior change in a
> minor release.

so this can be mentioned in documentation elsewhere than release notes
- the best is near related examples - it is different behave than
postgresql's user expect.

I understand to reason now - and it has sense - but it is surprising -
not all has newer postgres - this version is mostly in development
environments than production in this moment.

Regards

Pavel