Standard in must be a tty

Lists: pgsql-novice
From: "White, Benjamin" <Benjamin(dot)White(at)umassmed(dot)edu>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Standard in must be a tty
Date: 2003-09-12 21:02:27
Lists: pgsql-novice

I'm trying to initialize and start postgresql under Red Hat 8 using the
command:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start

The script fails, and from looking at the log, it would appear that the
error "Standard in must be a tty" occurs when the script does a

"su" to the postgres user to run the initdb script.

The version of Postgresql is 7.1.3-2, and all components (lib,
postgresql, server, and perl) were installed using RPM.

I appreciate the help - tried a bunch of things over the past 2 days
with no avail...

Thanks

Benjamin J. White

Associate Chief Information Officer