PGXML support for postgreSQL on Windows

Lists: pgsql-novice
From: "T j i b b e" <tjibbe(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PGXML support for postgreSQL on Windows
Date: 2005-11-25 11:04:06
Lists: pgsql-novice

XML2 is not included in the windows postgresql installer. So I googled and
downloaded a windows binary from http://www.u-moe.org/pgxml/.

I tried to install it:

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.1\bin>psql -U postgres -f
..\share\contrib\pgxml.sql

And get this error:

psql:../share/contrib/pgxml.sql:4: ERROR: could not load library
"C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.1/lib/pgxml.dll": The specified procedure
could not be found.

I'm running the latest version of postgresql and windows 2000 and the
postgres windows user has all persmissions to your binary files.

Can somebody help me?

Greetings,

Tjibbe Rijpma

> XML2 is not included in the windows postgresql installer. So I googled and
> downloaded a windows binary from http://www.u-moe.org/pgxml/.
>
> I tried to install it:
>
> C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.1\bin>psql -U postgres -f
> ..\share\contrib\pgxml.sql
>
> And get this error:
>
> psql:../share/contrib/pgxml.sql:4: ERROR: could not load library
> "C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.1/lib/pgxml.dll": The specified procedure
> could not be found.

Hi Tjibbe,

The xml2 package from http://www.u-moe.org/pgxml/ does not include
libxslt.dll which is necessary to install xml2 on postgres 8.1. You can get
the required dll's directly from http://ftp.zlatkovic.com/pub/libxml/ - you
need libxml2.dll, libxslt.dll and iconv.dll.

I think you will find as well that pgxml.dll from
http://www.u-moe.org/pgxml/ will not work with 8.1. I have attached a zip
copy of pgxml.dll which I compiled from source for 8.1 which should work.

With pgxml.dll in C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.1/lib/ and libxml2.dll,
libxslt.dll and iconv.dll in C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.1/bin/, you
should be able to install the xml2 functions. You may have to add
C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.1/lib to your system path (and then reboot),
to get the install to work. I had to do this on a laptop running XP Pro.

If you still encounter problems, I would suggest compiling pgxml.dll from
source. I am running XP rather than Windows 2000.

Regards,
George

Attachment Content-Type Size
xml.zip application/octet-stream 11.6 KB