Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Don't make "replication" magical as a user name, only as a datab

Lists: pgsql-committerspgsql-hackers
From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgsql: Don't make "replication" magical as a user name, only as a datab
Date: 2011-04-10 18:53:39
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Don't make "replication" magical as a user name, only as a database name, in pg_hba.conf.

Per gripe from Josh Berkus.

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ed557a373c406bbb2a1843544ebbd856ca4cac47

Modified Files
--------------
src/backend/libpq/hba.c | 2 ++

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2011-04-11 01:47:45
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 3:53 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:
> Don't make "replication" magical as a user name, only as a database name, in pg_hba.conf.

Is it worth backporting this change to 9.0?

Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2011-04-11 02:17:29
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On 04/10/2011 09:47 PM, Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 3:53 AM, Andrew Dunstan<andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:
>> Don't make "replication" magical as a user name, only as a database name, in pg_hba.conf.
> Is it worth backporting this change to 9.0?

I didn't because it's a behaviour change, but arguably it's just us
being ever so slightly more permissive, and nothing that now works would
change in any way, so we possibly could.

cheers

andrew

On 04/10/2011 10:17 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 04/10/2011 09:47 PM, Fujii Masao wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 3:53 AM, Andrew Dunstan<andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
>> wrote:
>>> Don't make "replication" magical as a user name, only as a database
>>> name, in pg_hba.conf.
>> Is it worth backporting this change to 9.0?
>>

> I didn't because it's a behaviour change, but arguably it's just us
> being ever so slightly more permissive, and nothing that now works
> would change in any way, so we possibly could.

Well, nobody seems to be very fussed about this idea, so unless someone
objects I'll do this in 24 hours.

cheers

andrew