Re: WARNING: some databases have not been vacuumed in 1953945422 transactions

Lists: pgsql-general
From: "MG" <pgsql-general(at)carladata(dot)de>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: WARNING: some databases have not been vacuumed in 1953945422 transactions
Date: 2007-02-15 08:14:55
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

we are using PostgreSQL 8.0.3 and have two databases in one cluster. db1 and db2.
Each night a shell script is being executed.

vacuumdb --analyze -U cmduser db1
vacuumdb --analyze -U cmduser db2

The last weeks the following warnings are given out:
WARNING: some databases have not been vacuumed in 1953945422 transactions
HINT: Better vacuum them within 193538225 transactions, or you may have a wraparound failure.

Now I made the sql-statement:
SELECT datname, age(datfrozenxid) FROM pg_database;

Yesterday I got this result:
datname age
db1 1.090.080.531
db2 1.940.858.511
template1 1.940.858.511
template0 1.940.858.511

Today I got the following result:
datname age
db1 1.075.558.667
db2 1.075.513.031
template1 1.955.716.521
template0 1.955.716.521

Why are there changes of the databases template1 and template0 ?!?

Is this critical?

Regards
Michaela

"MG" <pgsql-general(at)carladata(dot)de> writes:
> Each night a shell script is being executed.

> vacuumdb --analyze -U cmduser db1
> vacuumdb --analyze -U cmduser db2

You need to hit template1 every so often, too. You probably might
as well just do that every night; it won't take long.

> The last weeks the following warnings are given out:
> WARNING: some databases have not been vacuumed in 1953945422 =
> transactions

> Is this critical?

Yes.

regards, tom lane

But I don't understand why there are changes of the databases template1 and
template0 at all?
I thought they are only templates.