Re: do we need to postpone beta4?

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: do we need to postpone beta4?
Date: 2010-07-27 18:04:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I think we should consider postponing beta4. I count eleven
non-documentation, 9.0-specific bug fix on REL9_0_STABLE, but there
are currently five items on the open 9.0 issues list, at least one of
which appears to be a new bug in 9.0, and we just got a bug report on
pgsql-bugs from Valentine Gogichashvili complaining of what looks to
be a crasher in the redo path for heap_xlog_update(). It seems
unlikely at this point that we can have all of these issues fixed and
still have time for a full buildfarm cycle before the wrap. Does it
make sense to put out a beta with known bugs (presumably requiring
another beta) at this point, or should we push this off a bit?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

> I think we should consider postponing beta4. I count eleven
> non-documentation, 9.0-specific bug fix on REL9_0_STABLE, but there
> are currently five items on the open 9.0 issues list, at least one of
> which appears to be a new bug in 9.0, and we just got a bug report on
> pgsql-bugs from Valentine Gogichashvili complaining of what looks to
> be a crasher in the redo path for heap_xlog_update(). It seems
> unlikely at this point that we can have all of these issues fixed and
> still have time for a full buildfarm cycle before the wrap. Does it
> make sense to put out a beta with known bugs (presumably requiring
> another beta) at this point, or should we push this off a bit?

If we don't wrap a beta this week, the next possible window is several
weeks away, because various people will be on vacation. So I think we
should get the existing fixes out there, even if there are known bugs
remaining. A beta is not an RC.

regards, tom lane

> > I think we should consider postponing beta4. I count eleven
> > non-documentation, 9.0-specific bug fix on REL9_0_STABLE, but there
> > are currently five items on the open 9.0 issues list, at least one of
> > which appears to be a new bug in 9.0, and we just got a bug report on
> > pgsql-bugs from Valentine Gogichashvili complaining of what looks to
> > be a crasher in the redo path for heap_xlog_update(). It seems
> > unlikely at this point that we can have all of these issues fixed and
> > still have time for a full buildfarm cycle before the wrap. Does it
> > make sense to put out a beta with known bugs (presumably requiring
> > another beta) at this point, or should we push this off a bit?
>
> If we don't wrap a beta this week, the next possible window is several
> weeks away, because various people will be on vacation. So I think we
> should get the existing fixes out there, even if there are known bugs
> remaining. A beta is not an RC.

If we document the bugs, then +1, if we don't -1. E.g; we let people
know where we KNOW there are warts.

JD

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I think we should consider postponing beta4.  I count eleven
>> non-documentation, 9.0-specific bug fix on REL9_0_STABLE, but there
>> are currently five items on the open 9.0 issues list, at least one of
>> which appears to be a new bug in 9.0, and we just got a bug report on
>> pgsql-bugs from Valentine Gogichashvili complaining of what looks to
>> be a crasher in the redo path for heap_xlog_update().  It seems
>> unlikely at this point that we can have all of these issues fixed and
>> still have time for a full buildfarm cycle before the wrap.  Does it
>> make sense to put out a beta with known bugs (presumably requiring
>> another beta) at this point, or should we push this off a bit?
>
> If we don't wrap a beta this week, the next possible window is several
> weeks away, because various people will be on vacation.  So I think we
> should get the existing fixes out there, even if there are known bugs
> remaining.  A beta is not an RC.

Well, that's pretty much saying we won't release before September.
Which is kind of a bummer, but I guess that's what happens when we get
into vacation season.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> >> I think we should consider postponing beta4. ?I count eleven
> >> non-documentation, 9.0-specific bug fix on REL9_0_STABLE, but there
> >> are currently five items on the open 9.0 issues list, at least one of
> >> which appears to be a new bug in 9.0, and we just got a bug report on
> >> pgsql-bugs from Valentine Gogichashvili complaining of what looks to
> >> be a crasher in the redo path for heap_xlog_update(). ?It seems
> >> unlikely at this point that we can have all of these issues fixed and
> >> still have time for a full buildfarm cycle before the wrap. ?Does it
> >> make sense to put out a beta with known bugs (presumably requiring
> >> another beta) at this point, or should we push this off a bit?
> >
> > If we don't wrap a beta this week, the next possible window is several
> > weeks away, because various people will be on vacation. ?So I think we
> > should get the existing fixes out there, even if there are known bugs
> > remaining. ?A beta is not an RC.
>
> Well, that's pretty much saying we won't release before September.
> Which is kind of a bummer, but I guess that's what happens when we get
> into vacation season.

Yeah, if we are lucky we can do RC1 in mid-August and still release
final in August, but that assumes everything is done by then, and that
we only need 1-2 RCs. Early September looks more likely. The good
thing is that we are deciding now and are continually seeing if we can
tighten the schedule. (If we stop trying to tighten the schedule, we
get a lose schedule, which no one likes.)

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 3:53 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
>> Well, that's pretty much saying we won't release before September.
>> Which is kind of a bummer, but I guess that's what happens when we get
>> into vacation season.
>
> Yeah, if we are lucky we can do RC1 in mid-August and still release
> final in August, but that assumes everything is done by then, and that
> we only need 1-2 RCs.  Early September looks more likely.  The good
> thing is that we are deciding now and are continually seeing if we can
> tighten the schedule.  (If we stop trying to tighten the schedule, we
> get a lose schedule, which no one likes.)

I am assuming that if we release beta4 with known bugs, beta5 in
mid-August is inevitable. And we're going to need at least a couple
of weeks after beta5 before RC1, even assuming no new issues come up.
ISTM that if everything goes well we can expect to release in
*mid*-September.