Re: Online backup cause boot failure, anyone know why?

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: "Richard" <husttripper(at)vip(dot)sina(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Online backup cause boot failure, anyone know why?
Date: 2010-08-05 13:19:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I want to create a database backup when PG is running, so I call pg_start_backup(''), scp the data to a backup directory, pg_stop_backup.
Then I reboot PG , PG boot failed with log like "unexpected pageaddr X/X in log file X, segment X, offset X" "WAL ends before end time of backup dump".
Then I check the failure XLOG file, found the error page contains a pageaddr 8K before it should be, and the failure XLOG record a ONLINE CHECKPONT with 60 bytes in former page, the other 4 bytes missing.

Any one met this before? Please help me!

--------------
Richard
2010-08-05

> I want to create a database backup when PG is running, so I call pg_start_backup(''), scp the data to a backup directory, pg_stop_backup.
> Then I reboot PG , PG boot failed with log like "unexpected pageaddr X/X in log file X, segment X, offset X" "WAL ends before end time of backup dump".
> Then I check the failure XLOG file, found the error page contains a pageaddr 8K before it should be, and the failure XLOG record a ONLINE CHECKPONT with 60 bytes in former page, the other 4 bytes missing.
>
> Any one met this before? Please help me!

This question really belongs on the pgsql-general list, not the -hackers
list.

If all you copied was the data directory then you haven't done this
right anyway. See
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/continuous-archiving.html#BACKUP-TIPS>

Why did you reboot postgres after taking your backup?

cheers

andrew

I reboot PG because I found PG recovery end point if far away from the actual end point of the XLOG on the backup directory, so I want to test if the original DB is OK.
Unfortunately, I got the same PG log on the original DB. I don't unstand what you said, I missing what?

Richard
2010-08-05