Different encoding for string values and identifier strings? Or (select 'tést' as tést) returns different values for string and identifier...

Lists: pgsql-general
From: "Francisco Figueiredo Jr(dot)" <francisco(at)npgsql(dot)org>
To: PgSql General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Different encoding for string values and identifier strings? Or (select 'tést' as tést) returns different values for string and identifier...
Date: 2011-03-15 18:13:18
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all!

I received a bug report about problems with identifiers.

If I do the following select:

select 1 as tést

The column name returned contains strange chars.

If I do:

select 'tést' as tést

the select value returned is ok but the column name is not. :(

Is there any configuration I need to change to specify the encoding of
the identifiers?

I'm using UTF-8 for my database.

Thanks in advance.

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.
Npgsql Lead Developer
http://www.npgsql.org
http://fxjr.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/franciscojunior

Francisco Figueiredo Jr. <francisco(at)npgsql(dot)org> wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I received a bug report about problems with identifiers.
>
> If I do the following select:
>
> select 1 as tést
>
> The column name returned contains strange chars.
>
> If I do:
>
> select 'tést' as tést
>
> the select value returned is ok but the column name is not. :(
>
> Is there any configuration I need to change to specify the encoding of
> the identifiers?

test=# select 'tést' as "tést";
tést
------
tést

looks okay for me ...

Andreas
unintentional side effect. (Linus Torvalds)
"If I was god, I would recompile penguin with --enable-fly." (unknown)
Kaufbach, Saxony, Germany, Europe. N 51.05082°, E 13.56889°