Re: Synchronous standby

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Synchronous standby
Date: 2011-02-23 08:49:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

In 9.1, we will be able to have synchrnous replication. Also we have
one standby server chosen by primary to be the synchronous standby
(still I'm not sure this is correct or not as stated in another mail).

Is there anyway to know which is the synchronous standby? IMO this is
important for users because that one is likely the least behind to
primary and will be chosen to promoto in case of primary dying in most
cases.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 3:49 AM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:
> In 9.1, we will be able to have synchrnous replication. Also we have
> one standby server chosen by primary to be the synchronous standby
> (still I'm not sure this is correct or not as stated in another mail).

yes, it is. a list of possible synch standbys and one of them chosen
to be the one

> Is there anyway to know which is the synchronous standby? IMO this is
> important for users because that one is likely the least behind to
> primary and will be chosen to promoto in case of primary dying in most
> cases.

i guess, we can put a new column in pg_stat_replication stating the
type of the replication (synch or asynch).
but that is surely a different patch...

--
Jaime Casanova         www.2ndQuadrant.com
Professional PostgreSQL: Soporte y capacitación de PostgreSQL

> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 3:49 AM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:
>> In 9.1, we will be able to have synchrnous replication. Also we have
>> one standby server chosen by primary to be the synchronous standby
>> (still I'm not sure this is correct or not as stated in another mail).
>>

> yes, it is. a list of possible synch standbys and one of them chosen
> to be the one
>
>> Is there anyway to know which is the synchronous standby? IMO this is
>> important for users because that one is likely the least behind to
>> primary and will be chosen to promoto in case of primary dying in most
>> cases.
>
> i guess, we can put a new column in pg_stat_replication stating the
> type of the replication (synch or asynch).
> but that is surely a different patch...

Ok, I will write a patch unless someone comes up.