Re: installer problems

Lists: pgsql-bugs
From: Samuel Rettore <rettore(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: installer problems
Date: 2010-09-23 14:19:53
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi,

I'm having problems installing the database, see:

anfitrite:/opt# ./postgresql-9.0.0-1-linux.bin

Error: Error running /tmp/postgresql_installer/getlocales : child killed:
floating-point exception
Press [Enter] to continue :
anfitrite:/opt#

anfitrite:/opt# uname -a
Linux anfitrite 2.6.18-6-686 #1 SMP Fri Feb 19 23:40:03 UTC 2010 i686
GNU/Linux

anfitrite:/opt# cat /etc/debian_version
4.0

Thanks.
Samuel
rettore(at)gmail(dot)com

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 3:19 PM, Samuel Rettore <rettore(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having problems installing the database, see:
>
> anfitrite:/opt# ./postgresql-9.0.0-1-linux.bin
>
> Error: Error running /tmp/postgresql_installer/getlocales  : child killed:
> floating-point exception
> Press [Enter] to continue :
> anfitrite:/opt#
>

> anfitrite:/opt# uname -a
> Linux anfitrite 2.6.18-6-686 #1 SMP Fri Feb 19 23:40:03 UTC 2010 i686
> GNU/Linux
>
> anfitrite:/opt# cat /etc/debian_version
> 4.0

Debian is not a supported platform for the installers - we don't see
enough demand for it to justify the testing requirements I'm afraid.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise Postgres Company

On tor, 2010-09-23 at 16:45 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 3:19 PM, Samuel Rettore <rettore(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm having problems installing the database, see:
> >
> > anfitrite:/opt# ./postgresql-9.0.0-1-linux.bin
> >
> > Error: Error running /tmp/postgresql_installer/getlocales : child killed:
> > floating-point exception
> > Press [Enter] to continue :
> > anfitrite:/opt#
> >

> > anfitrite:/opt# uname -a
> > Linux anfitrite 2.6.18-6-686 #1 SMP Fri Feb 19 23:40:03 UTC 2010 i686
> > GNU/Linux
> >
> > anfitrite:/opt# cat /etc/debian_version
> > 4.0
>
> Debian is not a supported platform for the installers - we don't see
> enough demand for it to justify the testing requirements I'm afraid.

Surely the error message can be polished, though?

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 11:46 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> On tor, 2010-09-23 at 16:45 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 3:19 PM, Samuel Rettore <rettore(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I'm having problems installing the database, see:
>> >
>> > anfitrite:/opt# ./postgresql-9.0.0-1-linux.bin
>> >
>> > Error: Error running /tmp/postgresql_installer/getlocales  : child killed:
>> > floating-point exception
>> > Press [Enter] to continue :
>> > anfitrite:/opt#
>> >

>> > anfitrite:/opt# uname -a
>> > Linux anfitrite 2.6.18-6-686 #1 SMP Fri Feb 19 23:40:03 UTC 2010 i686
>> > GNU/Linux
>> >
>> > anfitrite:/opt# cat /etc/debian_version
>> > 4.0
>>
>> Debian is not a supported platform for the installers - we don't see
>> enough demand for it to justify the testing requirements I'm afraid.
>
> Surely the error message can be polished, though?

Well we don't know what errors we might get on unsupported platforms
until we test them, and we certainly don't have the resources to test
every unsupported platform. It's hard enough to test the 40 or so we
do support.

On tor, 2010-09-23 at 23:56 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> > Surely the error message can be polished, though?
>
> Well we don't know what errors we might get on unsupported platforms
> until we test them, and we certainly don't have the resources to test
> every unsupported platform. It's hard enough to test the 40 or so we
> do support.

I don't accept that argument, but FWIW, it works just fine on my Debian
installation, so nothing to worry about.

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 6:28 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> On tor, 2010-09-23 at 23:56 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
>> > Surely the error message can be polished, though?
>>
>> Well we don't know what errors we might get on unsupported platforms
>> until we test them, and we certainly don't have the resources to test
>> every unsupported platform. It's hard enough to test the 40 or so we
>> do support.
>
> I don't accept that argument,

How else would you suggest we find out what may go wrong on an
unsupported platform?