Re: Reg: SQL Query for Postgres 8.4.3

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Srinivas Naik <naik(dot)srinu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Reg: SQL Query for Postgres 8.4.3
Date: 2010-05-04 06:47:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Can any one tell me whats the effect of the below Query

SELECT substring(B'1111000000000001' from 5 for -2);
SELECT substring(B'1111000000000001' from 4 for -3);

its observed that there's an Error "invalid memory alloc request size
4244635647"

What will actually happen to the Postgresql database.

I am using Postgresql 8.4.3 on Ubuntu 8.04

Thanks in Advance
Regards,
Srinivas Naik

> Can any one tell me whats the effect of the below Query
> SELECT substring(B'1111000000000001' from 5 for -2);
> SELECT substring(B'1111000000000001' from 4 for -3);
> its observed that there's an Error "invalid memory alloc request size
> 4244635647"
> What will actually happen to the Postgresql database.
> I am using Postgresql 8.4.3 on Ubuntu 8.04

I can reproduce this with 8.4.*2* on Ubuntu 10.04 32-bit (postgres built
from src) but *not* with 8.4.*3*. Can you double check it is 8.4.3 you
are using? and if so tell us whether you are using 32 or 64 bit Ubuntu!

Cheers

Mark

and UBUNTU-8.10 with linux-image-2.6.27.18-standard_810_i386.deb

and its an 32bit Ubuntu.

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 9:02 AM, Mark Kirkwood <mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz