Re: [pgsql-general 2011-1-21:] Are there any projects interested in object functionality? (+ rule bases)

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Jörg Roman Rudnick <joerg(dot)rudnick(at)t-online(dot)de>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [pgsql-general 2011-1-21:] Are there any projects interested in object functionality? (+ rule bases)
Date: 2011-01-31 08:32:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dear all,

for the sake academic teaching, a colleague asked me in how far
PostgreSQL does support object functionality these days.

I am afraid my web research was not very fruitful to him; the impression
is that hardly anybody is occupied in working on PostgreSQL object
functionality -- have ORM mappers grown so strong?

The docs report that the SQL/OLB ISO/IEC 9075-10 part of the SQL
standard have no implementation yet.

So I'd like to place my questions here:

* are there any people / projects known which are interested in ORDBMS /
OODBMS usage of PostgreSQL? Strict SQL standard conformance is less
important than the possibility to provide instructive and impressive
examples to students.

* are there any people / projects known which are interested in
extending PostgreSQL at a higher level (plpgsql, creating operators,
etc.) for the sake of ORDBMS / OODBMS functionality?

* are there any people / projects known which are interested in
extending PostgreSQL on the level of developing C code for the sake of
ORDBMS / OODBMS functionality?

* in how far does the backend support such efforts -- would it do fine,
or is rather to be expected that doing ORDBMS / OODBMS driven queries
would lead to disastrous performance?

* are there any people / projects known which are interested in using
the rule (?trigger?) system of PostgreSQL (maybe with extensions) to
achieve some kind of rule base / datalog type inference engines? In how
far does the backend constrain this in regard of performance?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Nick