Re: Latch implementation

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Ganesh Venkitachalam-1 <ganesh(at)vmware(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Latch implementation
Date: 2010-09-22 20:31:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I've been playing around with measuring the latch implementation in 9.1,
and here are the results of a ping-pong test with 2 processes signalling
and waiting on the latch. I did three variations (linux 2.6.18, nehalem
processor).

One is the current one.

The second is built on native semaphors on linux. This one cannot
implement WaitLatchOrSocket, there's no select involved.

The third is an implementation based on pipe() and poll. Note: in its
current incarnation it's essentially a hack to measure performance, it's
not usable in postgres, this assumes all latches are created before any
process is forked. We'd need to use mkfifo to sort that out if we really
want to go this route, or similar.

- Current implementation: 1 pingpong is avg 15 usecs
- Pipe+poll: 9 usecs
- Semaphore: 6 usecs

The test program & modified unix_latch.c is attached, you can compile it
like "gcc -DPIPE -O2 sema.c" or "gcc -DLINUX_SEM -O2 sema.c" or "gcc -O2
sema.c".

Thanks,
--Ganesh

Attachment Content-Type Size
sema.c text/plain 2.7 KB
latch.h text/plain 2.4 KB
unix_latch.c text/plain 18.6 KB

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 4:31 PM, Ganesh Venkitachalam-1
<ganesh(at)vmware(dot)com> wrote:
> I've been playing around with measuring the latch implementation in 9.1, and
> here are the results of a ping-pong test with 2 processes signalling and
> waiting on the latch. I did three variations (linux 2.6.18, nehalem
> processor).
>
> One is the current one.
>
> The second is built on native semaphors on linux. This one cannot
> implement WaitLatchOrSocket, there's no select involved.
>
> The third is an implementation based on pipe() and poll. Note: in its
> current incarnation it's essentially a hack to measure performance, it's not
> usable in postgres, this assumes all latches are created before any process
> is forked. We'd need to use mkfifo to sort that out if we really want to go
> this route, or similar.
>
> - Current implementation: 1 pingpong is avg 15 usecs
> - Pipe+poll: 9 usecs
> - Semaphore: 6 usecs

Interesting numbers. I guess one question is how much improving the
performance of the latch implementation would affect overall system
performance. Synchronous replication is obviously going to be highly
sensitive to latency, but even in that context I'm not really sure
whether this is enough to matter. Do you have any sense of that?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

On 22/09/10 23:31, Ganesh Venkitachalam-1 wrote:
> I've been playing around with measuring the latch implementation in 9.1,
> and here are the results of a ping-pong test with 2 processes signalling
> and waiting on the latch. I did three variations (linux 2.6.18, nehalem
> processor).
>
> One is the current one.
>
> The second is built on native semaphors on linux. This one cannot
> implement WaitLatchOrSocket, there's no select involved.
>
> The third is an implementation based on pipe() and poll. Note: in its
> current incarnation it's essentially a hack to measure performance, it's
> not usable in postgres, this assumes all latches are created before any
> process is forked. We'd need to use mkfifo to sort that out if we really
> want to go this route, or similar.
>
> - Current implementation: 1 pingpong is avg 15 usecs
> - Pipe+poll: 9 usecs
> - Semaphore: 6 usecs
>
> The test program & modified unix_latch.c is attached, you can compile it
> like "gcc -DPIPE -O2 sema.c" or "gcc -DLINUX_SEM -O2 sema.c" or "gcc -O2
> sema.c".

Interesting, thanks for the testing! Could you also test how much faster
the current implementation gets by just replacing select() with poll()?
That should shave off some overhead.

--
Heikki Linnakangas