Re: serializable lock consistency

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: serializable lock consistency
Date: 2010-12-19 04:24:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 9:20 AM, Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org> wrote:
>>> I can try to find some time to update the patch if it suffers from bit-rot. Would that help?
>>
>> Yes!
>
> I've rebased the patch to the current HEAD, and re-run my FK concurrency test suite,
> available from https://github.com/fgp/fk_concurrency, to verify that things still work.
>
> I've also asserts to the callers of heap_{update,delete,lock_tuple} to verify (and document)
> that update_xmax may only be InvalidTransactionId if a lockcheck_snapshot is passed to
> heap_{update,delete,lock_tuple}.
>
> Finally, I've improved the explanation in src/backend/executor/README of how row locks and
> REPEATABLE READ transactions interact, and tried to state the guarantees provided by
> FOR SHARE and FOR UPDATE locks more precisely.
>
> I've published my work to https://github.com/fgp/postgres/tree/serializable_lock_consistency,
> and attached an updated patch. I'd be happy to give write access to that GIT repository
> to anyone who wants to help getting this committed.

I am having a hard time understanding this patch. I decided to start
with the README, and I'm still lost. :-(

My understanding of the problem is as follows. Acquiring a lock on a
tuple prevents the tuple from being concurrently updated. You might
take such a lock on a tuple T, make some other modification to the
database M, and commit, in the hope that your lock will prevent a
concurrent transaction from updating T without seeing M. However, it
doesn't work. When your lock on T is released, a concurrent
serializable transaction will still be looking at the database using
its original snapshot, and therefore won't see M. In effect, you
might as well not have bothered obtaining a lock at all. (You'd get
the same wrong answer that way, without unnecessary blocking!)

To fix this, one must ensure that if a tuple T is locked - either for
update or for share - by transaction A, and if a serializable
transaction B whose snapshot doesn't permit it to see the effects of A
subsequently attempts to update T, it must roll back.

Questions:
1. Is my understanding of the problem correct?
2. Is my understanding of the fix correct?
3. Is that what this patch implements?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

> My understanding of the problem is as follows. Acquiring a lock on a
> tuple prevents the tuple from being concurrently updated. You might
> take such a lock on a tuple T, make some other modification to the
> database M, and commit, in the hope that your lock will prevent a
> concurrent transaction from updating T without seeing M. However, it
> doesn't work. When your lock on T is released, a concurrent
> serializable transaction will still be looking at the database using
> its original snapshot, and therefore won't see M.

Exactly.

> In effect, you
> might as well not have bothered obtaining a lock at all. (You'd get
> the same wrong answer that way, without unnecessary blocking!)

If only serializable transactions are involved and they all commit,
then yes. The only reason for serializable transactions A to wait for
a lock taken by another transaction B is that B might abort, in which
case A may proceed.

> To fix this, one must ensure that if a tuple T is locked - either for
> update or for share - by transaction A, and if a serializable
> transaction B whose snapshot doesn't permit it to see the effects of A
> subsequently attempts to update T, it must roll back.

Yes. Otherwise, B cannot verify that the database is consistent.

Note that it's sufficient to check if B can see the effects of the
*latest* locker of T. If it can see those, it must also see the
effects of any previous locker. But because of this, B cannot
distinguish different lock strengths on T - even if A locked T
in exclusive mode, some transaction A2 may lock T in shared mode
after A has committed but before B inspects T.

> Questions:
> 1. Is my understanding of the problem correct?
> 2. Is my understanding of the fix correct?

Seems fine to me.

> 3. Is that what this patch implements?

It is. There is a small additional twist, however.

For serializable transactions, everything is as you explained it. Taking a
lock amounts to saying "If you can't see what I did, leave this tuple alone".
A read-committed transactions, though, sees different things at different
times since it takes a new snapshot for every statement. Since we cannot
raise a serialization error in a read-committed transaction, an UPDATE
or DELETE statement within a read-committed transaction may very well
modify a previously locked row, even if *doesn't* see the effects of some
concurrent locker. Any snapshot taken after the UDPATE or DELETE hit the
locked row, however, *will* see those changes. This includes the snapshot
taken within any AFTER trigger fired on updating the locked row. Thus,
things for one fine for RI constraints enforced by triggers.

best regards,
Florian Pflug

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 4:02 AM, Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org> wrote:
> Yes. Otherwise, B cannot verify that the database is consistent.
>
> Note that it's sufficient to check if B can see the effects of the
> *latest* locker of T. If it can see those, it must also see the
> effects of any previous locker. But because of this, B cannot
> distinguish different lock strengths on T - even if A locked T
> in exclusive mode, some transaction A2 may lock T in shared mode
> after A has committed but before B inspects T.

This seems to point to a rather serious problem, though. If B sees
that the last locker A1 aborted, correctness requires that it roll
back B, because there might have been some other transaction A2 which
locked locked T and committed before A1 touched it. Implementing that
behavior could lead to a lot of spurious rollbacks, but NOT
implementing it isn't fully correct.

> For serializable transactions, everything is as you explained it. Taking a
> lock amounts to saying "If you can't see what I did, leave this tuple alone".
> A read-committed transactions, though, sees different things at different
> times since it takes a new snapshot for every statement. Since we cannot
> raise a serialization error in a read-committed transaction, an UPDATE
> or DELETE statement within a read-committed transaction may very well
> modify a previously locked row, even if *doesn't* see the effects of some
> concurrent locker. Any snapshot taken after the UDPATE or DELETE hit the
> locked row, however, *will* see those changes. This includes the snapshot
> taken within any AFTER trigger fired on updating the locked row. Thus,
> things for one fine for RI constraints enforced by triggers.

I can't parse the last sentence of this paragraph. I think there is a
word or two wrong.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

> On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 4:02 AM, Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org> wrote:
>> Note that it's sufficient to check if B can see the effects of the
>> *latest* locker of T. If it can see those, it must also see the
>> effects of any previous locker. But because of this, B cannot
>> distinguish different lock strengths on T - even if A locked T
>> in exclusive mode, some transaction A2 may lock T in shared mode
>> after A has committed but before B inspects T.
>
> This seems to point to a rather serious problem, though. If B sees
> that the last locker A1 aborted, correctness requires that it roll
> back B, because there might have been some other transaction A2 which
> locked locked T and committed before A1 touched it. Implementing that
> behavior could lead to a lot of spurious rollbacks, but NOT
> implementing it isn't fully correct.

Certainly seems serios. How on earth did I manage to miss that one, I
wonder :-(

If only shared locks are invovled, the patch probably works correctly,
though, since they don't remove all traces of previous lockers, they
merely add themselves to the multi-xid holding the lock. That'd also
explain why my concurrency test-suite didn't trip over this. So we may
only need to do what you propose for exclusive locks.

I'll look at this later today in more detail - I'm not currently at home,
so I don't have access to the sources...

>> For serializable transactions, everything is as you explained it. Taking
>> lock amounts to saying "If you can't see what I did, leave this tuple
>> alone".
>> A read-committed transactions, though, sees different things at
>> different
>> times since it takes a new snapshot for every statement. Since we cannot
>> raise a serialization error in a read-committed transaction, an UPDATE
>> or DELETE statement within a read-committed transaction may very well
>> modify a previously locked row, even if *doesn't* see the effects of
>> some
>> concurrent locker. Any snapshot taken after the UDPATE or DELETE hit the
>> locked row, however, *will* see those changes. This includes the
>> snapshot
>> taken within any AFTER trigger fired on updating the locked row. Thus,
>> things for one fine for RI constraints enforced by triggers.
>
> I can't parse the last sentence of this paragraph. I think there is a
> word or two wrong.

Ups, sorry for that. s/for one/are - the sentence should have read "Thus,
things are find for RI constraints enforced by triggers".

best regards,
Florian Pflug

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 9:12 AM, Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org> wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 4:02 AM, Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org> wrote:
>>> Note that it's sufficient to check if B can see the effects of the
>>> *latest* locker of T. If it can see those, it must also see the
>>> effects of any previous locker. But because of this, B cannot
>>> distinguish different lock strengths on T - even if A locked T
>>> in exclusive mode, some transaction A2 may lock T in shared mode
>>> after A has committed but before B inspects T.
>>
>> This seems to point to a rather serious problem, though.  If B sees
>> that the last locker A1 aborted, correctness requires that it roll
>> back B, because there might have been some other transaction A2 which
>> locked locked T and committed before A1 touched it.  Implementing that
>> behavior could lead to a lot of spurious rollbacks, but NOT
>> implementing it isn't fully correct.
>
> Certainly seems serios. How on earth did I manage to miss that one, I
> wonder :-(
>
> If only shared locks are invovled, the patch probably works correctly,
> though, since they don't remove all traces of previous lockers, they
> merely add themselves to the multi-xid holding the lock. That'd also
> explain why my concurrency test-suite didn't trip over this. So we may
> only need to do what you propose for exclusive locks.

I'd be willing to bet, without checking, that if the previous shared
locker is no longer running by the time the next one comes along, we
don't create a multixact in the first place. And even if it does,
what about this: exclusive lock, commit, shared lock, abort.

As unhappy as I am with the present behavior, this cure sounds like it
might be worse than the disease.

On Dec19, 2010, at 17:01 , Robert Haas wrote:

>>> This seems to point to a rather serious problem, though. If B sees
>>> that the last locker A1 aborted, correctness requires that it roll
>>> back B, because there might have been some other transaction A2 which
>>> locked locked T and committed before A1 touched it. Implementing that
>>> behavior could lead to a lot of spurious rollbacks, but NOT
>>> implementing it isn't fully correct.
>>
>> Certainly seems serios. How on earth did I manage to miss that one, I
>> wonder :-(
>>
>> If only shared locks are invovled, the patch probably works correctly,
>> though, since they don't remove all traces of previous lockers, they
>> merely add themselves to the multi-xid holding the lock. That'd also
>> explain why my concurrency test-suite didn't trip over this. So we may
>> only need to do what you propose for exclusive locks.
>
> I'd be willing to bet, without checking, that if the previous shared
> locker is no longer running by the time the next one comes along, we
> don't create a multixact in the first place.

And you'd have won that bet. I just checked, and this is exactly what
we do.

> And even if it does,
> what about this: exclusive lock, commit, shared lock, abort.

I figured we could solve that by adding the exclusive locker's xid
to the multi-xid if it was >= GlobalXmin.

But...

Playing games with multi-xid lifetimes helps nothing in case
T1 locks, T1 commits, T2 updates, T2 aborts, all after T0
took its snapshot but before T0 attempts to delete. :-(

Actually, wait a second...

What we're interested here is the last non-aborted xmax of the tuple.
If that is invisible to some serializable transaction which tries
to modify the tuple, we raise a serialization error.

In the case of updates, deletes and exclusive locks, we always wait
for the xid(s) (more than if share-locked) in xmax to either commit or
abort, and thus know their fate. We can therefore track the latest
non-aborted xmax in a single additional field "xlast" if we simply
save the old xmax there before overwriting it *if* that xmax did
actually commit. Otherwise we leave xlast as it was.

The same works for share locks. If the tuple was previously locked
exclusively, updated or deleted, we proceed as above. If the tuple
was previously share-locked, some other lockers may still be in
progress. If at least one of them has committed, we again store its
xid in xlast. Otherwise, we again leave xlast as it was.

Note that xlast is never a multi-xid!

When a serializable transaction updates, deletes or exclusively locks
a tuple, we check if either xmax *or* xlast is invisible. If so,
we raise a serialization error.

If we reuse the legacy field xvac to store xlast, we don't get into
trouble with binary upgrades either. We' need to find a way to deal
with tuples where HEAP_MOVED_IN or HEAP_MOVED_OUT is set, but that
seems manageable..

Does that sound viable?

> As unhappy as I am with the present behavior, this cure sounds like it
> might be worse than the disease.

I agree. Aborting due to conflicts with aborted transactions really
seems like a bad idea - there probably cases were that would lead
to one spurious abort causing another causing another...

But the solution sketched may be a way out...

best regards,
Florian Pflug

PS: Thanks to anyone who put work into this! I'm extremely sorry that
I didn't catch this earlier, and thus caused unnecessary work on your
end :-(

On 19.12.2010 20:57, Florian Pflug wrote:
> If we reuse the legacy field xvac to store xlast, we don't get into
> trouble with binary upgrades either. We' need to find a way to deal
> with tuples where HEAP_MOVED_IN or HEAP_MOVED_OUT is set, but that
> seems manageable..

xvac shares the field with command id, and cid is in use while the tuple
is being updated.

--
Heikki Linnakangas

On Dec20, 2010, at 07:16 , Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 19.12.2010 20:57, Florian Pflug wrote:
>> If we reuse the legacy field xvac to store xlast, we don't get into
>> trouble with binary upgrades either. We' need to find a way to deal
>> with tuples where HEAP_MOVED_IN or HEAP_MOVED_OUT is set, but that
>> seems manageable..
>
> xvac shares the field with command id, and cid is in use while the tuple is being updated.

Right :-(

Well, that nails this coffin shut pretty tightly, unless we were willing to add
another field to heap tuples.

best regards,
Florian Pflug

On 20.12.2010 13:52, Florian Pflug wrote:
> On Dec20, 2010, at 07:16 , Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> On 19.12.2010 20:57, Florian Pflug wrote:
>>> If we reuse the legacy field xvac to store xlast, we don't get into
>>> trouble with binary upgrades either. We' need to find a way to deal
>>> with tuples where HEAP_MOVED_IN or HEAP_MOVED_OUT is set, but that
>>> seems manageable..
>>
>> xvac shares the field with command id, and cid is in use while the tuple is being updated.
>
> Right :-(
>
> Well, that nails this coffin shut pretty tightly, unless we were willing to add
> another field to heap tuples.

One way to look at this is that the problem arises because SELECT FOR
UPDATE doesn't create a new tuple like UPDATE does. The problematic case
was:

> T1 locks, T1 commits, T2 updates, T2 aborts, all after T0
> took its snapshot but before T0 attempts to delete. :-(

If T1 does a regular UPDATE, T2 doesn't overwrite the xmax on the
original tuple, but on the tuple that T1 created.

So one way to handle FOR UPDATE would be to lazily turn the lock
operation by T1 into a dummy update, when T2 updates the tuple. You
can't retroactively make a regular update on behalf of the locking
transaction that committed already, or concurrent selects would see the
same row twice, but it might work with some kind of a magic tuple that's
only followed through the ctid from the original one, and only for the
purpose of visibility checks.

--
Heikki Linnakangas

On Dec20, 2010, at 13:13 , Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> One way to look at this is that the problem arises because SELECT FOR UPDATE doesn't create a new tuple like UPDATE does. The problematic case was:
>
>> T1 locks, T1 commits, T2 updates, T2 aborts, all after T0
>> took its snapshot but before T0 attempts to delete. :-(
>
> If T1 does a regular UPDATE, T2 doesn't overwrite the xmax on the original tuple, but on the tuple that T1 created.

> So one way to handle FOR UPDATE would be to lazily turn the lock operation by T1 into a dummy update, when T2 updates the tuple. You can't retroactively make a regular update on behalf of the locking transaction that committed already, or concurrent selects would see the same row twice, but it might work with some kind of a magic tuple that's only followed through the ctid from the original one, and only for the purpose of visibility checks.

In the case of an UPDATE of a recently locked tuple, we could avoid having to insert a dummy tuple by storing the old tuple's xmax in the new tuple's xmax. We'd flag the old tuple, and attempt to restore the xmax of any flagged tuple with an aborted xmax and a ctid != t_self during scanning and vacuuming.

For DELETEs, that won't work. However, could we maybe abuse the ctid to store the old xmax? It currently contains t_self, but do we actually depend on that?

FOR-SHARE and FOR-UPDATE locks could preserve information about the latest committed locker by creating a multi-xid. For FOR-SHARE locks, we'd just need to ensure that we only remove all but one finished transactions. For FOR-UPDATE locks, we'd need to create a multi-xid if the old xmax is >= GlobalXmin, but I guess that's tolerable.

best regards,
Florian Pflug

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 9:11 AM, Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org> wrote:
> On Dec20, 2010, at 13:13 , Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> One way to look at this is that the problem arises because SELECT FOR UPDATE doesn't create a new tuple like UPDATE does. The problematic case was:
>>
>>> T1 locks, T1 commits, T2 updates, T2 aborts, all after T0
>>> took its snapshot but before T0 attempts to delete. :-(
>>
>> If T1 does a regular UPDATE, T2 doesn't overwrite the xmax on the original tuple, but on the tuple that T1 created.
>
>> So one way to handle FOR UPDATE would be to lazily turn the lock operation by T1 into a dummy update, when T2 updates the tuple. You can't retroactively make a regular update on behalf of the locking transaction that committed already, or concurrent selects would see the same row twice, but it might work with some kind of a magic tuple that's only followed through the ctid from the original one, and only for the purpose of visibility checks.
>
> In the case of an UPDATE of a recently locked tuple, we could avoid having to insert a dummy tuple by storing the old tuple's xmax in the new tuple's xmax. We'd flag the old tuple, and attempt to restore the xmax of any flagged tuple with an aborted xmax and a ctid != t_self during scanning and vacuuming.
>
> For DELETEs, that won't work. However, could we maybe abuse the ctid to store the old xmax? It currently contains t_self, but do we actually depend on that?

My first reaction to all of this is that it sounds awfully grotty.

> FOR-SHARE and FOR-UPDATE locks could preserve information about the latest committed locker by creating a multi-xid. For FOR-SHARE locks, we'd just need to ensure that we only remove all but one finished transactions. For FOR-UPDATE locks, we'd need to create a multi-xid if the old xmax is >= GlobalXmin, but I guess that's tolerable.

Even in the original version of this patch, there's a non-trivial
overhead here when a multi-xid exists that doesn't exist today: a
serializable transaction has to grovel through the XIDs in the
multi-xact and figure out whether any of them are new enough to be a
problem. I fear that this whole approach is a case of trying to jam a
square peg through a round hole. We're trying to force the on-disk
format that we have to meet a requirement it wasn't designed for, and
it's looking pretty ugly. Kevin Grittner's work is a whole different
approach to this problem, and while that's obviously not fully
debugged and committed yet either, it's often easier to design a new
tool to solve a particular problem than to make an existing tool that
was really meant for something else do some new thing in addition.