inclusion of hstore software in main tarball

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: "hubert depesz lubaczewski" <depesz(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: inclusion of hstore software in main tarball
Date: 2006-05-03 17:06:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

hi
some time ago i was told on postgresql-general about existence of "hstore"
package for postgresql.
as i understand it is being developed by the same guys that are behind
tsearch2, gin and (at least) recent changes in gist.

would it be possible to include this software in main postgresql tarball? it
would be best if it came as standard feature, but contrib module would also
work.

if you are not familiar with hstore - this is new datatype for postgresql
which allows you to store (and browse and search) any number of pairs of
(key, value) in one field.

i have number of projects coming to my mind which could take advantage of
something like this. the simplest thing is e-commerce site, where all custom
fields (fields dependand on product type) can be stored in one, easily
retrievable, field - thus reducing database load by skipping additional
table scans for custom field table(s).

if you would like to check it: url is:
http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/hstore/README.hstore, and the
software itself is downloadable from