Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 vs. MySQL 5.0?

Lists: pgsql-general
From: "Mark Cave-Ayland" <m(dot)cave-ayland(at)webbased(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 vs. MySQL 5.0?
Date: 2005-10-06 22:42:57
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi everyone,

I've just got back from LinuxWorld in London and seeing this thread thought
I would share my experience of the MySQL stand - if you are of a delicate
dispostion, please look away now. I basically asked them straight up why I
should use MySQL instead of PostgreSQL and was quite surprised by the
result, mainly since it was not done on features but more on FUD. The basic
message was this:

- MySQL is the most popular open source database, with over 6m
"enterprise"
installs, with a large company supporting it. PostgreSQL is run by a
very
small community of developers.

- MySQL can be clustered (This was later retracted when I mentioned
needed something that would work on large tables, as apparently
their
clustering only works in RAM and so will fail on large queries and
queries
that use a lot of joins).

- All the companies that have tried to operate by selling PostgreSQL
support
services have gone bankrupt, except for EnterpriseDB.

- PostgreSQL doesn't have row level locking.

And this last comment really took the biscuit - I really hope that the none
of the core team read this and decide to throw in the towel:

"MySQL has the biggest collection of database experts... Open source
people
don't know how to write databases"

So all in all, to say I was upset by some of these comments was an
understatement. To all the people I spoke to on the PostgreSQL stand, I hope
I did it in a way that made them feel empowered to go and try the PostgreSQL
for their own applications by mentioning its benefits, and not by spreading
FUD about its competition.

Mark.

------------------------
WebBased Ltd
South West Technology Centre
Tamar Science Park
Plymouth
PL6 8BT

T: +44 (0)1752 791021
F: +44 (0)1752 791023
W: http://www.webbased.co.uk

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 11:42:57PM +0100, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've just got back from LinuxWorld in London and seeing this thread
> thought I would share my experience of the MySQL stand - if you are
> of a delicate dispostion, please look away now. I basically asked
> them straight up why I should use MySQL instead of PostgreSQL and
> was quite surprised by the result, mainly since it was not done on
> features but more on FUD. The basic message was this:

[FUD elided]

Did you happen to get names and quotes for any of these? As in, "On
October 1, 2005, at LinuxWorld London, Foo McBar said, ' ... '"

One way to keep the FUD to a minimum is to hold the FUDster personally
responsible for it.

Cheers,
David Fetter david(at)fetter(dot)org http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 510 893 6100 mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

> - All the companies that have tried to operate by selling PostgreSQL
>support
> services have gone bankrupt, except for EnterpriseDB.

Oh the irony....

Command Prompt, Inc...

Doing PostgreSQL since 1997.
Profitable since 1997.
No debt since 1997.

Oh... and of course, no outside Vulture Capitalists either.

Not to mention Pervasive although new to PostgreSQL has been around a
LONG time.

Stupid is as stupid does I guess.

Joshua D. Drake