Re: BUG #5974: UNION construct type cast gives poor error message

Lists: pgsql-bugs
From: "Jeff Wu" <jwu(at)atlassian(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #5974: UNION construct type cast gives poor error message
Date: 2011-04-12 20:18:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 5974
Logged by: Jeff Wu
Email address: jwu(at)atlassian(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 9.0
Operating system: Mac OS X
Details:

The UNION construct (as noted on this page:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/typeconv-union-case.html) will
cast unknown types to TEXT, however, if you try to do three or more UNIONs
the order in which the UNIONs are executed will cause some columns to be
cast to TEXT prematurely. The result is a type mismatch error.

For example:
SELECT 1,null,null
UNION
SELECT 2,3,null
UNION
SELECT 3,null,4

will fail while

SELECT 1,null,null::INTEGER
UNION
SELECT 2,3,null
UNION
SELECT 3,null,4

will succeed.

This is not a critical error, but I would say that the error message is
misleading because it is not obvious that Postgres casts unknown columns to
TEXT automatically.

The current error message is:
ERROR: UNION types text and integer cannot be matched

I would suggest something like:
ERROR: UNION types text and integer cannot be matched. HINT: Postgres casts
unknown types to TEXT by default.

Thanks,

Jeff