Re: WIP: SP-GiST, Space-Partitioned GiST

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: WIP: SP-GiST, Space-Partitioned GiST
Date: 2011-08-31 18:42:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi there,

attached is our WIP-patch for 9.2 development source tree, which provides
implementation of SP-GiST (prototype was presented at PGCon-2011, see
http://www.pgcon.org/2011/schedule/events/309.en.html and presentation
for details) as a core feature. Main differences from prototype version:

1. Now it's part of pg core, not contrib module
2. It provides more operations for quadtree and suffix tree
3. It uses clustering algorithm of nodes on disk and has much better
utilization of disk space. Fillfactor is supported
4. Some corner cases were eliminated
5. It provides support for concurency and recovery (inserts are
logged, supports for deletes, and log replay will be added really
soon)

So, now code contains almost all possible overhead of production code
and we ask hackers to test performance on real data sets. We expect
the same performance for random data (since almost no overlaps) and
much better performance on real-life data, plus much better index
creation time. Also, we appreciate your comments and suggestions about
API.

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Attachment Content-Type Size
spgist_patch-0.84.gz application/octet-stream 34.8 KB

This is updates SP-GiST patch, which fixed one bug and
replaced test to the locale independent one.

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> attached is our WIP-patch for 9.2 development source tree, which provides
> implementation of SP-GiST (prototype was presented at PGCon-2011, see
> http://www.pgcon.org/2011/schedule/events/309.en.html and presentation
> for details) as a core feature. Main differences from prototype version:
>
> 1. Now it's part of pg core, not contrib module
> 2. It provides more operations for quadtree and suffix tree
> 3. It uses clustering algorithm of nodes on disk and has much better
> utilization of disk space. Fillfactor is supported
> 4. Some corner cases were eliminated
> 5. It provides support for concurency and recovery (inserts are
> logged, supports for deletes, and log replay will be added really
> soon)
>
> So, now code contains almost all possible overhead of production code
> and we ask hackers to test performance on real data sets. We expect
> the same performance for random data (since almost no overlaps) and
> much better performance on real-life data, plus much better index
> creation time. Also, we appreciate your comments and suggestions about
> API.
>
> Regards,
> Oleg
> Oleg Bartunov, Research Scientist, Head of AstroNet (www.astronet.ru),
> Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University, Russia
> Internet: oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
> phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Attachment Content-Type Size
spgist_patch-0.85.gz application/octet-stream 34.8 KB

Attached is updated SP-GiST patch, which provides full logging support and
fixed several bugs (Thanks ALexander Korotkov for help).

Regards,
Oleg

On Thu, 1 Sep 2011, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> This is updates SP-GiST patch, which fixed one bug and replaced test to the
> locale independent one.
>
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2011, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> attached is our WIP-patch for 9.2 development source tree, which provides
>> implementation of SP-GiST (prototype was presented at PGCon-2011, see
>> http://www.pgcon.org/2011/schedule/events/309.en.html and presentation
>> for details) as a core feature. Main differences from prototype version:
>>
>> 1. Now it's part of pg core, not contrib module
>> 2. It provides more operations for quadtree and suffix tree
>> 3. It uses clustering algorithm of nodes on disk and has much better
>> utilization of disk space. Fillfactor is supported
>> 4. Some corner cases were eliminated
>> 5. It provides support for concurency and recovery (inserts are
>> logged, supports for deletes, and log replay will be added really
>> soon)
>>
>> So, now code contains almost all possible overhead of production code
>> and we ask hackers to test performance on real data sets. We expect
>> the same performance for random data (since almost no overlaps) and
>> much better performance on real-life data, plus much better index
>> creation time. Also, we appreciate your comments and suggestions about
>> API.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Oleg
>> Oleg Bartunov, Research Scientist, Head of AstroNet (www.astronet.ru),
>> Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University, Russia
>> Internet: oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
>> phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83
>
> Regards,
> Oleg
> Oleg Bartunov, Research Scientist, Head of AstroNet (www.astronet.ru),
> Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University, Russia
> Internet: oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
> phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Attachment Content-Type Size
spgist_patch-0.89.gz application/octet-stream 34.8 KB

I attached wrong patch in previous message, sorry ! Here is a last version.

This is a new WIP of SP-GiST patch, which provides support for:

1. Concurrent vacuum
2. Vacuum logging
3. WAL replay

Oleg
On Thu, 1 Sep 2011, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> This is updates SP-GiST patch, which fixed one bug and replaced test to the
> locale independent one.
>
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2011, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> attached is our WIP-patch for 9.2 development source tree, which provides
>> implementation of SP-GiST (prototype was presented at PGCon-2011, see
>> http://www.pgcon.org/2011/schedule/events/309.en.html and presentation
>> for details) as a core feature. Main differences from prototype version:
>>
>> 1. Now it's part of pg core, not contrib module
>> 2. It provides more operations for quadtree and suffix tree
>> 3. It uses clustering algorithm of nodes on disk and has much better
>> utilization of disk space. Fillfactor is supported
>> 4. Some corner cases were eliminated
>> 5. It provides support for concurency and recovery (inserts are
>> logged, supports for deletes, and log replay will be added really
>> soon)
>>
>> So, now code contains almost all possible overhead of production code
>> and we ask hackers to test performance on real data sets. We expect
>> the same performance for random data (since almost no overlaps) and
>> much better performance on real-life data, plus much better index
>> creation time. Also, we appreciate your comments and suggestions about
>> API.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Oleg
>> Oleg Bartunov, Research Scientist, Head of AstroNet (www.astronet.ru),
>> Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University, Russia
>> Internet: oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
>> phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83
>
> Regards,
> Oleg
> Oleg Bartunov, Research Scientist, Head of AstroNet (www.astronet.ru),
> Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University, Russia
> Internet: oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
> phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Attachment Content-Type Size
spgist_patch-0.92.gz application/octet-stream 36.9 KB

Here is the latest spgist patch, which has all planned features as well as
all overhead, introduced by concurrency and recovery, so performance
measurement should be realistic now.

Oleg

On Mon, 5 Sep 2011, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> I attached wrong patch in previous message, sorry ! Here is a last version.
>
> This is a new WIP of SP-GiST patch, which provides support for:
>
> 1. Concurrent vacuum
> 2. Vacuum logging
> 3. WAL replay
>
> Oleg
> On Thu, 1 Sep 2011, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>
>> This is updates SP-GiST patch, which fixed one bug and replaced test to the
>> locale independent one.
>>
>> On Wed, 31 Aug 2011, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>>
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> attached is our WIP-patch for 9.2 development source tree, which provides
>>> implementation of SP-GiST (prototype was presented at PGCon-2011, see
>>> http://www.pgcon.org/2011/schedule/events/309.en.html and presentation
>>> for details) as a core feature. Main differences from prototype version:
>>>
>>> 1. Now it's part of pg core, not contrib module
>>> 2. It provides more operations for quadtree and suffix tree
>>> 3. It uses clustering algorithm of nodes on disk and has much better
>>> utilization of disk space. Fillfactor is supported
>>> 4. Some corner cases were eliminated
>>> 5. It provides support for concurency and recovery (inserts are
>>> logged, supports for deletes, and log replay will be added really
>>> soon)
>>>
>>> So, now code contains almost all possible overhead of production code
>>> and we ask hackers to test performance on real data sets. We expect
>>> the same performance for random data (since almost no overlaps) and
>>> much better performance on real-life data, plus much better index
>>> creation time. Also, we appreciate your comments and suggestions about
>>> API.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Oleg
>>> Oleg Bartunov, Research Scientist, Head of AstroNet (www.astronet.ru),
>>> Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University, Russia
>>> Internet: oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
>>> phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83
>>
>> Regards,
>> Oleg
>> Oleg Bartunov, Research Scientist, Head of AstroNet (www.astronet.ru),
>> Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University, Russia
>> Internet: oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
>> phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83
>
> Regards,
> Oleg
> Oleg Bartunov, Research Scientist, Head of AstroNet (www.astronet.ru),
> Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University, Russia
> Internet: oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
> phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Attachment Content-Type Size
spgist_patch-0.98.gz application/octet-stream 37.5 KB