Re: domain on bit(N) type produces strange results

Lists: pgsql-bugs
From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: domain on bit(N) type produces strange results
Date: 2004-11-06 05:34:39
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Creating a domain on bit(N) doesn't seem to work as expected when casting
to the domain type.

CREATE DOMAIN bit4 AS bit(4);

SELECT 7::bit(4), 7::bit4;
bit | bit4
------+------
0111 | 1000
(1 row)

Reported in #postgresql by msw_alt.

Kris Jurka

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: domain on bit(N) type produces strange results
Date: 2004-11-06 06:40:05
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com> writes:
> Creating a domain on bit(N) doesn't seem to work as expected when casting
> to the domain type.

> CREATE DOMAIN bit4 AS bit(4);

> SELECT 7::bit(4), 7::bit4;
> bit | bit4
> ------+------
> 0111 | 1000
> (1 row)

What's going on here is that "7::bit4" is implemented as
"7::bit::bit(4)", and since 7::bit is taken to mean 7::bit(1),
the result follows.

Bit is the only typmod-using datatype for which casting to the type
with typmod -1 risks discarding information. In a brief look I'm
not sure whether this can easily be fixed without introducing unwanted
side-effects.

regards, tom lane

> Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com> writes:
>> Creating a domain on bit(N) doesn't seem to work as expected when casting
>> to the domain type.

> What's going on here is that "7::bit4" is implemented as
> "7::bit::bit(4)", and since 7::bit is taken to mean 7::bit(1),
> the result follows.

I've fixed it to collapse this into a direct "7::bit(4)" coercion.
Thanks for the test case.

regards, tom lane