Re: Debug contrib/cube code

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Nick Raj <nickrajjain(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Debug contrib/cube code
Date: 2011-05-06 05:14:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,
I am using postgresql-8.4.6. I want to debug the contrib/cube code. Can we
able to debug that cube code? Because there is no .configure file to
enable debug. Is there is any way to change make file to enable debug?

Thanks

> I am using postgresql-8.4.6. I want to debug the contrib/cube code. Can
> we able to debug that cube code? Because there is no .configure file
> to enable debug. Is there is any way to change make file to enable debug?

What do you want to debug? AFAICS you need to change the code to achieve what
you want.

--
Euler Taveira de Oliveira - Timbira http://www.timbira.com.br/

From: Nick Raj <nickrajjain(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2011-05-13 16:12:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Sorry i don't know about AFAICS.
Yes, i want to modify cube code for this i want to go in detail by
debugging.
Can you throw some light on how to debug contrib/cube code?

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 9:59 PM, Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Nick Raj <nickrajjain(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2011-05-13 16:51:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Nick Raj <nickrajjain(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Sorry i don't know about AFAICS.
> Yes, i want to modify cube code for this i want to go in detail by
> debugging.
> Can you throw some light on how to debug contrib/cube code?

"AFAICS" is short for "as far as I can see".

On my system, if I configure --enable-debug, the contrib modules are
compiled with debug support as well.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Nick Raj <nickrajjain(at)gmail(dot)com>, Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2011-05-13 17:13:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Nick Raj <nickrajjain(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Can you throw some light on how to debug contrib/cube code?

> On my system, if I configure --enable-debug, the contrib modules are
> compiled with debug support as well.

Depending on what platform you're using, it may be hard to get
breakpoints in dynamically loaded modules to work. On many platforms it
helps to make sure that the module is loaded before you attach to the
backend process with gdb. To do that, you can either call one of its
functions, or just do a manual LOAD command.

regards, tom lane