hard shutdown of system

Lists: pgsql-general
From: "surabhi(dot)ahuja" <surabhi(dot)ahuja(at)iiitb(dot)ac(dot)in>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: hard shutdown of system
Date: 2006-04-17 06:47:21
Lists: pgsql-general

the user tries to do kill -9 -1 and log in again

in the startup script i do the following

/sbin/pidof -s postmaster

and it still displays some value,

however ps -aef | grep postmaster does not display anything

is it ok if i do the following
pid1=`/sbin/pidof -s postmaster`
pid2=`ps -eaf | grep postmaster | grep -v grep | tail -1 | awk '{print $2}'`

if ($pid1 and $pid2)
=> postmaster is already running

otherwise

i check if postmaster.pid exists
if it does, i delete it
and then start postmaster by doing $PGCTL -l $POSTGRES_LOG -D $PGDATA -p $POSTMASTER -o '-p ${PGPORT}' start > /dev/null 2>&1

is it ok?

thanks,
regards
Surabhi

On 4/17/06, surabhi.ahuja <surabhi(dot)ahuja(at)iiitb(dot)ac(dot)in> wrote:

> the user tries to do kill -9 -1 and log in again
>
> in the startup script i do the following
>
> /sbin/pidof -s postmaster
>
> and it still displays some value,
>
> however ps -aef | grep postmaster does not display anything
>
> is it ok if i do the following
> pid1=`/sbin/pidof -s postmaster`
> pid2=`ps -eaf | grep postmaster | grep -v grep | tail -1 | awk '{print
> $2}'`
>
> if ($pid1 and $pid2)
> => postmaster is already running
>
> otherwise
>
> i check if postmaster.pid exists
> if it does, i delete it
> and then start postmaster by doing $PGCTL -l $POSTGRES_LOG -D $PGDATA -p
> $POSTMASTER -o '-p ${PGPORT}' start > /dev/null 2>&1

Check out the startup script. Depending on what system you are
running, this might already all be taken care of.

Here's a mandrake example (I think the redhat version is pretty similar).

http://techdocs.postgresql.org/scripts/mandrake72-startup

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/