Re: checkpoint_segments warning?

Lists: pgsql-general
From: "Dan Armbrust" <daniel(dot)armbrust(dot)list(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: checkpoint_segments warning?
Date: 2008-05-05 19:28:47
Lists: pgsql-general

I got a warning from PostgreSQL 8.3.1 that said something to the effect of

checkpoints are happening to frequently... (-2484 seconds)

That part that confused me was the "-2484". Is that just a hyphen in
a strange place? Or did it really calculate a negative value?

Is this expected?

Thanks,

Dan

"Dan Armbrust" <daniel(dot)armbrust(dot)list(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I got a warning from PostgreSQL 8.3.1 that said something to the effect of
> checkpoints are happening to frequently... (-2484 seconds)

> That part that confused me was the "-2484". Is that just a hyphen in
> a strange place? Or did it really calculate a negative value?

Yeah, it really did. AFAICS this could only happen if the value of time(2)
went backwards. Something fooling with your system clock?

regards, tom lane

> > That part that confused me was the "-2484". Is that just a hyphen in
> > a strange place? Or did it really calculate a negative value?
>
> Yeah, it really did. AFAICS this could only happen if the value of time(2)
> went backwards. Something fooling with your system clock?
>
> regards, tom lane

Or _someone_. Yes. Precisely. I may even know who did it ;)

Thanks,

Dan

> I got a warning from PostgreSQL 8.3.1 that said something to the effect of
>
> checkpoints are happening to frequently... (-2484 seconds)
>
> That part that confused me was the "-2484". Is that just a hyphen in
> a strange place? Or did it really calculate a negative value?
>
> Is this expected?

Did you get a date change in the server between checkpoints? Check the
logs (if you are logging the time of the logs).